Cavalry Network Attached Storage Server Evaluated

Nemo

It does not have built in support for ADS so it won't be able to join the domain and support the users/groups that way. You can still map to the unit from each PC and maintain rights using the users/groups feature on the CAND3001T0 itself. I was able to access the unit set up on the default WORKGROUP from another workgroup with no problems.

Hope this helps.

It does not have built in support for ADS so it won't be able to join the domain and support the users/groups that way. You can still map to the unit from each PC and maintain rights using the users/groups feature on the CAND3001T0 itself. I was able to access the unit set up on the default WORKGROUP from another workgroup with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your quick response. I am shopping for NAS and the two products I shortlisted are also the two you have evaluated. Cavalary and D-Link. Both do not support Active Directory, but I as you have replied, I should be able to map to the NAS from any of the machines in my domain. Looking at the performnace data I thought D-Link DNS-323 is going to be my choice.

I have only one concern. D-Link NAS supports only ext2, whereas Cavalary supports ext2 as well as ext3. What are the benefits of ext3 (or journaling) over ext2? If the purpose is reliable file storage in RAID 1 configuration, does the file system ext2 or ext3 matter?

Thanks

I'm getting a little of my league here when discussing the advantages of a journaling file system. However, my understanding is that it can be of benefit in recovering in the event of an event such as a power outage. You should see better protection in that event on a RAID array over Ext2. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't lose data, but it should help protect the integrity of the RAID array itself. Of course, a UPS system be of value in a case like that as well. You might want to do a little more research for a better answer than what I can give.