LucasArts is No More

bp9801

Sad day for gamers everywhere, as Disney has officially shut down LucasArts. Current projects may or may not be canceled, but Disney may try to get an external company to finish Star Wars 1313.

After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.

All told, around 150 employees are now unemployed. LucasArts was more than just Star Wars games, as adventure titles like The Secret of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango were all made there. Such a sad day...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:(

After re-readin the post. Maybe it is not so bad in the long run. It's not really the end, the only thing now is that developers will have to pay to use the brand name. 

We are incredibly appreciativeand proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles...

...we've had layoffs across the organization...

I don't want to see you when you're unappreciative then Disney :glare:

Sad news in deed, which reminds me I need to play my Jedi Knight collection I bought on steam a while ago (as well as forcing myself through KOTOR to see if my opinion changes in its favor)