SSD Selection

Kylothian

Howzit peeps, next month Im getting myself a lappy and I want to kit it with an ssd, currently im looking at 3 different ssd's both all with 5yr warranty AFAIK... question is which one... mainly be used for work and prolly the odd game or 6. So Im consulting the experts and masters

Im looking into one of the following they are roughly in the same price range:

1. Corsair Neutron Series 120GB 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive

2. Intel SSDSC2CW120A3K5 SSD 520 MLC Series 120GB 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive

3. OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive

apparently the vertex is better for gaming and handling bigger files or something...or so i read but hey what do i know...

What do you guys use and you're opinions on the drives? Seems Intel and Corsair offer better performance and all that.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

a ssd newb

Get the cheapest one, honestly benchmarks are benchmarks and real life is real life. I could sit you down in front of all three, side by side and you likely couldn't tell any real difference. :)

• Like 2

Get the cheapest one, honestly benchmarks are benchmarks and real life is real life. I could sit you down in front of all three, side by side and you likely couldn't tell any real difference. :)

:withstupid:

Well said, mate!

Brand loyalty plays a role, Crucial has been mine in memory & ssd. I have found with ssd's that each storage size increase,128,256,512...has a respective increase in speed...read & write. I feel the read speed is most important, after all the ssd spends 95 percent of the time reading whats there after install. The Intel units are good but are overpriced. The OCZ units had lots of troubles early on because of their use of the nand controllers, and highly populate the refurbished ssd market. The new Samsung series is promising, as i've tried out a new 120gb unit, and has downloadable utility software to transfer & tweak the ssd's performance.

A fresh o.s. install is best, but most manufactuers have data transfer kits available with new purchases, and they are pretty amazing how accurate the tranfers are...just plug in to usb, install software and click. It is very important to change bios setting to ahci mode prior to install, which confirms the fresh o.s. is best.

The SSD in my sig was $160 shipped when I bought it. I can't complain. I boot in 16 sec from off to ready to use. It's a nice size and I've had zero problems, although I've only been using it about 1 month