Family Minibar

Need drink recipes (alcoholic drinks, for minibar.) Here's the backstory:

So me and the girlfriend have been changing a lot of things in our lives, and we're creating a successful family. We both come from poor backgrounds, military, homelessness, and abusive life stories...

And we're very happy to be doing well. So we're looking to build a minibar, but we wanted a little help with WHAT TO PUT IN IT.

As we've both come from poor backgrounds, we don't have the widest array of drinks or knowledge of how to make them: Because we could only afford the cheap crap that would "do". We've started to expand our inventory, but wanted a few drink ideas. Preferably from any older couples who know what it's like to come home and just want something nice to sip on.

I generally prefer some of the more expensive things...

but the general things you should keep on stock are:

Whiskey, Vodka, Tequila, Gin, etc...

You also should keep some mixers on hand, seltzer water, white soda, coke, pineapple juice, cranberry juice, tomato juice.

I usually just stock up on stuff like that and let people make their own drinks, with what they want...

Most people aren't that complicated. A majority of guys will be content with whiskey and coke, while ladies generally are content with drinks that are sweet.

Edited by greengiant912

You need to develop your own tastes but there are plenty of things you can keep in stock for guests ect.

I myself am partial to many single malts but lack of money and my age mean I haven sampled that great a selection.

However when drinking cheap a few things I like are American Honey, Chivars Regal, Johnny Black, Makers Mark and Gentlemen Jack.

Obviously this means still that I am not really the type to drink to oblivion costs too much :lol:

I detest all forms of beer and wine although do like some ciders so can't really help you besides to say go out and try.

A tour of vinyards with cellar door tasting and a whiskey/bourbon tour ect have a good time out with the missus

You can find any recipe you want at Drinksmixer.com. Can browse by types of liquor or other ingredients, plus learn tips and twists other people have done to different drinks.

Cap's idea of taking a class wouldn't hurt either. Plus you'll be able to experiment and see the types of flavors you enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been trying some things out, and I found the most delicious recipe, completely by accident...

Malibu coconut rum and v8 splash smoothies, strawberry banana flavor. I know, its like a poor man's mixer from the sound.. but is absolutely delicious. So we've already started stocking on v8.. and depleted our stock of Malibu lol.

I guess Jack and coke isn't a bad idea either. And we grabbed some colada mixes at the grocery store. Also honey, oranges, and other various ingredients.. mostly from a little drink book I had, we picked the ingredients found in the most recipes, so we could try to make many different drinks out of less total ingredients. So far though, I've been pretty addicted to the v8.

I'll have to give that a try. I very recently took a liking to Yukon Jack and Pepsi. Never liked YJ, thanks to only having it in snakebites.. but it goes well with Pepsi. the wife (okay, technically girlfriend, but wife's easier to type lol) hates the ... But hell, at least I know if she has a bad day, there'll be something left in the cupboard for me xD

And I skimped on the minibar itself.. Using an old computer desk with a pull out keyboard shelf as a living room "minibar". Stuck the minifridge with the lock on it in the tower spot, and it works. Ugly as sheeet, but it is functional.

I have a few staples that I keep in my mini fridge, I'll try to hit one of each kind of liquor. I guess they would be considered mid-range priced liquours, all between $20-$30 for a .750L bottle. About twice as much as the cheap stuff, but infinitely better.

Private stock and Bacardi 8 Anos are my two favorite rums, with Makers Mark topping my whiskey charts. Private Stock is best on the rocks or with a little bit of Coke, but being a more complicated flavored spiced rum its not the best for mixing - leave that to its simpler and less expensive relative, the standard Captain Morgan. Bacardi 8 Anos is an amazing dark rum, with a very smooth flavor. Since it is made in scented oak barrels instead of giant aluminum vats like most mass produced rums, it has slight hints of many overlapping different flavors and not that metallic sharpness that cheap rums have. It is a GOOD rum, and tastest just as good or better then many "High End" rums I have tasted. It mixes perfectly with coke, but I would not waste it on sugary mixed drinks - for that, plain old Bacardi Superior white rum is the best bet for the money. Not a big Vodka Person, but Ciroc is one of the few I like. It is good with OJ, and for people who like sweet drinks its amazing with the bright blue Mountain Dew Voltage. Disaronno is great to sip on late at night when you just want somethiing that tastes good but not too strong(like Malibu), and its amazing with Dr.Pepper. Makers Mark is 90 proof Kentuckey Bourbon, so it hits pretty hard but tastes great. It doesn't have that harsh burn that cheap whiskeys do, and is great with coke. Being a whiskey, it doesn't mix well with many things since the taste is overpowering.

Edited by Puck