Vibration Makes Me _ _ _ _ _!!!!

abid

Impressive figures there nVidia_Freak. If I still had my desktop, I'd give it a shot right now, as it was not quite silent. It'd be awesome if I could get it to be quieter than actual silence - sleeping would be a dream when I left it on at night.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I've found the best solution to be buying some unsalted peanuts (in bulk or measured matters not) just make sure they're unsalted, the salt in salted peanuts dries the mixture. But anyway, get the unsalted peanuts, grind them up without the shells and mix in just a little vegetable oil and grind it up until it's a nice paste. This way you get an easy to apply paste (from the oil and grinding it yourself) but you still get the natural power from the peanuts.

I've done some testing with this method and have concluded it not only to be great for fan bearing vibrations, but also for replacing rubber dampers that you would place between screws and drive bays. I have proof below.

Noise from computer (dB)

With rubber rings 54dB

With homemade mixture -877dB

As you can see, this peanut butter mixture is excellent for making a truly silent computer. There is a whole 931dB difference!

I have also tested this mixture in place of the famed Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. See the results below.

Q6600 Temps w/ famed AS5 idle/load: 34*/52*

Q6600 Temps w/ homemade mixture: -17*/-2*

As you can see from this, my homemade mixture keeps my Q6600 at a modest -2* at full load! Also note that there is a smaller temperature swing between idle and load with the homemade mixture, thus my Q6600 has a much lower chance of electrical failure.

You guys really need to try this out, it works wonders.

Are thos degrees in celsius or farenhiet(sp?)? Because if it's celsius then no biggie, but *F then i may have to do it....

:blink:

Are thos degrees in celsius or farenhiet(sp?)? Because if it's celsius then no biggie, but *F then i may have to do it....

:blink:

My measurements are in the standard scientific measurement of degrees centigrade.

I am currently trying adding different amounts of oil and peanuts to the mixture. I think I'm on the verge of a breakthrough, but only time will tell. :(

I've done some testing with this method and have concluded it not only to be great for fan bearing vibrations, but also for replacing rubber dampers that you would place between screws and drive bays. I have proof below.

Noise from computer (dB)

With rubber rings 54dB

With homemade mixture -877dB

Just for your knowledge, Abid, negative decibels will mean that instead of producing noise, it will absorb noise. In other words, most of the noise of other components that can't be lubricated(like a vibrating choke in a PSU) will collide with the anti-noise and annihilate, much like a particle and antiparticle will do.

An example of an annihilation is: Electron + Positron = Charm quark + Anti-Charm quark, which will then provoke a color-field snap, creating two new particles, D+ and D- mesons.

Good luck :)

Edited by The Smith

Oh I know, that's why I had to wrap my case in quad-ply aluminium foil to contain all the annihilation and the newly created particles. It seems to be working pretty well.

Just for your knowledge, Abid, negative decibels will mean that instead of producing noise, it will absorb noise. In other words, most of the noise of other components that can't be lubricated(like a vibrating choke in a PSU) will collide with the anti-noise and annihilate, much like a particle and antiparticle will do.

An example of an annihilation is: Electron + Positron = Charm quark + Anti-Charm quark, which will then provoke a color-field snap, creating two new particles, D+ and D- mesons.

Good luck :)

With that said, I've done it! I've successfully created a homemade peanut paste that will keep a Q6600 at -272* centigrade, very close to absolute zero! I ended up adding broken up peanut skins to the mixture. It seems that when thermal heat comes into contact with the unique curvature of each skin, the thermal rays is accelerated at such a velocity that the extreme heat created is instantly shunted outside of the past. The extreme tug of this instantaneous acceleration pulls any other thermal energy with it. This process continues until there is nothing left to circulate except the coldness left behind by the extreme speed of the heat. If this confuses you, think of when you come out of a pool and run fast to the hot tub, your body cools down due to the speed of the thermal energy leaving your body until there is nothing left to leave except coldness.

Here are some scientific diagrams for comparison with the shells and without them.

Without:

th_WithoutSkin.jpg

With:

th_WithSkins.jpg

As you can see, the shells' curvature shunts the thermal radiation at absolutely intense velocities, you can even see on the bottom that the amount of thermal heat is much lower. This is due, as said, to the pulling effect of the intense velocity.

Keep in mind that I achieved this with a Ninja Mini with the stock 80mm fan. It could be very possible with the copper TRUE with a 120mm fan to reach absolute zero, 0* K.

Keep us posted -- it'd be a pretty decent breakthrough to be honest. Would make LN2 redundant going forward :)

Almond butter is actually better (butter?) to use than peanut, due to the higher oil content. However, it can be quite expensive and the bang for buck is best found with peanut.

That may be true, but I thought this was an enthusiast website. It's like going for water cooling instead of air.

I'm considering going with the bulk peanut route and just filling my entire case with it, much like the oil filled case from a few years back.

Its odd how we've never discussed this before. I always thought it was such a simple part of PC upkeep. I guess not everyone knows about it.

Ill have to try the with skins mixture next time I pull my computer apart. It would be nice to have such a cheap upgrade in cooling? Did you have to turn up your heat at all? I would think your room would get cold.