Asus K53SC

PingoPongo

Hey everybody!

It's been a while since I've posted on OCC, but I've also been quite busy. I trust fellow OCC members about their opinions. So I'd like some info about a laptop I'm planning to buy. It's an Asus K53SC (SX625V version), the one with a Pentium B950 processor and GT 520MX video card. It will be mostly for studying and eveyday use, but maybe a game or two in my free time, nothing heavy tho. I am aware of the 520MX being a upper/middle class entry level card, so I don't expect anything fancy. My concern would actualy be the build quality of the Asus K53 series overall. So if anybody has experiences with them, especially with the K53SC one, then please do share it. Anybody else with a good advice or running either a B950 or GT 520MX laptop is also very welcome to leave their thoughts! :)

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I think and hope this is a proper subforum.

As you might or might not have noticed, I live in Estonia. Prices and availability here are not as good as in the US. My main question is about the build quality of the casing etc. Price at here is 499 euros btw.

I didn't know Estonia uses the Euro, and I'm not American.

It shows GT 520(is there a difference between the M version and MX?) running games pretty well on low settings. May have to overclock the cpu if it isn't running well but may overheat...

It's so hard to find laptops online for Estonia...

Edited by Dan The Gamer

The MX should be a bit faster than the M version. I found some videos about the MX running some nice games too.

The availability and options in Estonia are quite poor. I also found a HP Pavilion DV6-6B20SY (Pavilion DV6-6b00 series). It's hard to find much info about the specific model. The model I'm looking at has a HD 6750M and a AMD A4-3310MX. The 6750M is a lot better than the 520MX. My only concern is about overheating. I've found quite a few videos on youtube and complaints on forums about the DV6 series overheating or cooling fan being very loud.

Yeah I feel bad for you, Dell refuses to ship there :(

I wish you could wait for Trinity to come out but... It'll be out before September as that's when the Desktop ones come out(the mobile ones are made using the tick tock thing so faster)... I got a 5650 and it's very nice, the CPU part of the HP lappy isn't very good though... at least it has TurboCore....

I'm sure you saw this but this is it's site(might need google translate it's in Italian and Estonian isn't based on latin)... I'm sure you can get the jist of things!

http://www8.hp.com/lt/lt/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5171965

THE HP HAS USB 3.0!! Can you buy a cooling pad?

Actualy HP is kind enough that I've seen that exact page in Estonian. They an Estonian version of the whole site, was a surprise to me too. But yeah, can't wait till September. Need to buy it by the beginning of March.

Also the K53SC has a USB 3.0 slot, the HP one just has 2 of them. The A4-3310MX shouldn't be too bad, doesn't perform too much below B950. I could probably afford a cooling pad, but wouldn't want the computer to be too loud nor hot without the pad either, need to carry it around sometimes so it won't be on the cooling pad all the time. Didn't find any overheating topics about the version with the 3310MX tho and HP did renew the design of DV6 series in winter 2011 if I'm not mistaken... so maybe they fixed it?

a video of it and text version of it. It doesn't say anything about cooling, but they added the numpad and some other design features...

One more question. I found two versions on sale: DV6-6B20EY and DV6-6B20SY. I couldn't find any differences other than the color of the casing...?

Edited by PingoPongo

The K53SC uses the same quality casing as the U series as far as I can tell.

I have the U46SV, it has a tough case and a good looking brushed aluminum finished IMO.. Can't complain much with it's aesthetics since it's pleasing in the eyes.

But if you want to game on these laptops, I suggest you look for a dedicated gaming laptop. I tried running BF3 on my U46 and the CPU temp reached 90C. Seems like to accommodate the space, they've used an all in one heatsink with a single fan to cool both the GPU and CPU simultaneously.

Hey everybody!

It's been a while since I've posted on OCC, but I've also been quite busy. I trust fellow OCC members about their opinions. So I'd like some info about a laptop I'm planning to buy. It's an Asus K53SC (SX625V version), the one with a Pentium B950 processor and GT 520MX video card. It will be mostly for studying and eveyday use, but maybe a game or two in my free time, nothing heavy tho. I am aware of the 520MX being a upper/middle class entry level card, so I don't expect anything fancy. My concern would actualy be the build quality of the Asus K53 series overall. So if anybody has experiences with them, especially with the K53SC one, then please do share it. Anybody else with a good advice or running either a B950 or GT 520MX laptop is also very welcome to leave their thoughts! :)

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I think and hope this is a proper subforum.

I got my mom the same laptop except it has the GT540M. It is realistically a great laptop. I sort of screwed it up because I was trying to lock down half of the hard drive simply so that she wouldn't freak out when she saw that it had twice the capacity of her old laptop (yes she is THAT particular), and I guess the software I was using did not make a good boot disk. It is a very long story, but before I did what I did it was a very solid laptop........afterwards............not so much :lol: .

Build quality is sort of lacking. I bought one of the U series asus laptops and I prefer it over the k series. The K series is sort of a plasticly and bulky feel. My mom had her laptop and keys in the same bag (why I do not know) and the keys put some pretty deep cuts in the lid of the laptop. I was expecting that to happen, but not to the extent of which it did which tells me there is some cheaper plastic in the lid than one would expect.

It plays games just as well as Dan has shown with the youtube videos so it certainly won't be the best.

I think where these laptops kick butt though is the price. For 650 USD I got my mom a core i7 laptop with a 6 hour battery life a Nvidia GT540m 6gb of ram and a 500gb hard drive. Normally, you would say oh well you get what you pay for, but in this case you don't. You get something a lot better for your money.

If there were a way in which you could afford to go with the asus I would look at bumping the GPU to the 540m. It should be better than the 520mx but honestly I don't know because I have never heard of the 520MX. Other than that, the K series is a very good bang for the buck type of laptop, and if you are on a tight budget, and need a great laptop, than asus is the way to go. :thumbsup:

Yeah I don't have too much time to play games and I don't need it to run Crysis 2 or something maxed out all day long. I asked some other DV6 owners on youtube about the heat issue and they said that it doesn't overheat, but gets a bit loudish after long gaming. I also checked both of the laptops out at the shop today and both had a sturdy feel to them. I kind of liked the Asus one more tho, still the HP performs alot better and there's nothing that really bothers me about it. Oh and yes, they both have a numpad.

One thing bothered me just a bit tho. Asus has the power connector on the left side between the cooling fins area and ethernet connector, so the 90 degree angled power cord kinda blocks the cooling fins...

So I guess it comes down to this: B950, GT 520MX, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD vs A4-3310MX, HD 6750, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

It's quite hard to decide... I usually don't doubt so much about this kind of stuff, but I just don't want to waste €499 on a laptop that is going to cause me problems from the first day. Also I'll need it to last at least two or three years.

Edited by PingoPongo