Wasteland 2

bp9801

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Fargo, developer of the Fallout series, wants help creating a sequel to his game that started it all, Wasteland. Wasteland 2 will be true to the roots of the original (an isometric RPG) and has launched a Kickstarter page to help reach the $900,000 goal. Various pledges get you rewards, with a $15 pledge giving you a DRM-free digital copy of the game.

The original Wasteland launched in 1988 as the first post-apocalyptic RPG and had you controlling a team of Desert Rangers. Different outcomes were the direct result of your actions and the storyline allowed for a ton of re-playability.

Head here to donate!

...so how do we know the donations are going into game development rather than into some coke dealers account, or into international jet setting vacation tickets...are there any assurances beyond a receipt and a promise ??

Brian Fargo, developer of the Fallout series, wants help creating a sequel to his game that started it all, Wasteland. Wasteland 2 will be true to the roots of the original (an isometric RPG) and has launched a Kickstarter page to help reach the $900,000 goal. Various pledges get you rewards, with a $15 pledge giving you a DRM-free digital copy of the game.

The original Wasteland launched in 1988 as the first post-apocalyptic RPG and had you controlling a team of Desert Rangers. Different outcomes were the direct result of your actions and the storyline allowed for a ton of re-playability.

Head here to donate!

...so how do we know the donations are going into game development rather than into some coke dealers account, or into international jet setting vacation tickets...are there any assurances beyond a receipt and a promise ??

There's only been one case of a Kickstarter scam, afaik, and that was caught and shut down before the KS ended, so nobody lost any money on it. No, you don't know whether your money is actually being used toward development, but honestly, I don't give a shit where my money goes when I pledge as long as I get the goods.

I've backed five KS projects. Only one has completed development yet, and I indeed received it. The only thing I can say is, if you're concerned, don't pledge or at least only pledge with developers you trust based on past projects/experience.

• 3 months later...

Short video of the inventory system.

Oh, and these weren't implemented when the video was shot but will be before the game arrives.

• Key bindings for menus and commonly used items. You

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New update on Kickstarter with the following info:

In the next month we expect to have a version of the game that is feature complete, meaning all basic game functionality is in. This covers the combat system, character creation, radio support, world map travel, logbook, inventory, loot drop system, save games, AI functionality and much more. In addition all of the game maps are in and we have been in the process of making art and reactivity passes already. The basic building blocks of each level are in and the artists are fully propping them out, and the progress on this front is staggering. The hallmark of a great RPG is how reactive the world is, so our scripters are busy focusing on increasing this aspect of the game. We have encounters that look at the gender makeup of the party, the health of the party, the NPCs who have joined you and so many of the various world states. This is the kind of subtlety I love and makes the games both deep and re-playable. 

Mark Morgan has had his all music segments assigned and is on schedule as expected. Our particle effects man is working hard through his list so we get the drama and graphical payoff we are looking for. The portrait artists are all cranking on an amazing array of different pieces of art. Our sound team is in full swing with all of the various sounds coming in at a rapid pace.

This feature complete playable is about 6 weeks behind where I had wanted it to be but I can

• 2 weeks later...

they're "over-funded"

first-world problems :lol:

lol, right? Three times over what they had originally asked for, so why not. "We have too much money. Literally, we do." :lol: