Replacing my heatsink with a plastic one

sdy284

don't quite understand this technology. moving heat in a single direction may be good for removing it, but it still needs to be dissipated. perhaps this will replace heatpipes or something.

i'm still waiting on that ionic wind cooling stuff.

don't quite understand this technology. moving heat in a single direction may be good for removing it, but it still needs to be dissipated. perhaps this will replace heatpipes or something.

i'm still waiting on that ionic wind cooling stuff.

well obviously it'll need a fan to dissipate the heat, but only conducting in a single direction is great because ambient temps will have little to no effect on your CPU (or whatever your cooling)

lol, that's what I wondered... 300 times more than plastic... I can see it being used for chip casing, so stuff like power transistors (e.g. MOSFETs) would benefit... but I really do wonder on the thermal conductivity compared to any metal

it might end up being used as secondary heat conduction, like laptop shells...

but who knows what science can come up with in polymer technology :)

Even greater gains are likely to be possible as the technique is improved, says Chen, noting that the results achieved so far already represent the highest thermal conductivity ever seen in any polymer material. Already, the degree of conductivity they produce, if such fibers could be made in quantity, could provide a cheaper alternative to metals used for heat transfer in many applications, especially ones where the directional characteristics would come in handy, such as heat-exchanger fins