Windows Woes

ir_cow

So i got a Vertex 4 to replace my mushkin drive today.  All good, but to update the firmware I have to update the chipset and it tells me I don't have compatible hardware (odd). After a few attempts at solving this I gave up and decided 1.5 wasn't much different than 1.5.2. It's also a Temp drive that I will have killed by the end of the year so whatever.

Step 2 was to take the 2 120gb muskins and raid them since with everything in installed I only have 30gb free (even after moving the page file, etc) . Once again I have a problem installing the Raid drivers. I get this awesome error saying it can't find the Asus_hotfix.ini and its not in the install folder.

broken.png

Last option which i'm about to do shorty is just reinstall windows with a raid setup. it sucks to reinstall everything but I stuck unless someone has a solution I'll be doing it in about 20min.

Lession: don't change hardware, Don't try to raid after installing windows.

Edited by hornybluecow

Alright so i have new problem. Windows 7 doesn't have X79 Raid drivers on the disc. I make a boot disk with the drivers from the Asus Cd and windows tells me they are not valid, bla blah blah, contact the ventor.

I found this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/40220-63-insane-amount-problems-install-intel-sata-raid-drivers with simliar issues.

So far I have tried

RSTe_3.2.0.1135_F6-drivers ,

RSTe_3.5.0.1101_F6-drivers

RST_12.2

RST_11.6

RST_11.2

(about 15 different drivers and none work. If someone has an answer that would be awesome, otherwise i'll have to sell my 2x 120 and get a 256 drive. Switching to windows 8 isn't an option,

edit: just made a bootable win7 on a USB drive WITH every driver I can find. Still no luck. I Don't think you can setup Raid on X79... The raid I have is with a cheap 2 port card so that won't be good enough. I didn't think X79 would be any different than any other chipset

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1668485

Edited by hornybluecow

ugh, so close. after switching to USB drive, Now I get a different error telling me I need WHQL drivers... they are so does anyone know how to bypass that warning so I can install?

edit: after a bunch of reading I found out if you are running into a problem like me, your screwed so I bought a LSI raid card, costly solution to a simple matter. So if you want to have raid on X79 you SOL unless you have a card or extremely lucky.

Edited by hornybluecow

I'm confused, what exactly are you trying to do?

For updating firmware, ensure you're on an Intel SATA port and not the ASUS or Marvell SATA port.

You're trying to install RAID on the ASUS SATA ports?

Anyways, I run RAID on both my Rampage IV Extreme's, no problem.