MoBo question

stormhawk31

I'll be heading back from Japan in an few weeks, and I'm thinking it's time to start a build. I'll have considerable (and I mean considerable) funds to do it with, but I'd like to spend no more than $1500, tops, much less if I can, because I'm cheap. :) Anyway, I decided to go with an i-7 4820 processor, and I was hoping for some advice on a motherboard. Here's my general thoughts:

- no less than 16 GB RAM

- single video card FOR NOW, but definitely Crossfire/SLI compatible for later fun

- need a space for a decent sound card (and anything you want to throw my way on that score, I'd listen to)

Basically, I'll be using this system for everyday stuff, and as an HTPC. I'm not a huge PC gamer, but when I do play, I absolutely HATE having my system bog down or be unable to handle what I want to do. I want that not to be a problem - EVER. (I usually play things like Civilization or various city sims, and my brother plays The Sims and Assassin's Creed. I'm NOT an FPS guy). Also, my brother wants to be able to use a pretty advanced Wacom tablet, and I do some occasional video editing (and I'm about to start doing more). So, this system needs to not only be a Jack of All Trades, it needs to be a master of them all as well. Thoughts? Questions? Insults?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing came up on the Staples link.

Well, here's the thing. I've spent the last few years using a laptop whose processor wasn't even the best when it was brand new. The system is 5 years old now, and I've upgraded it as much as possible. One reason I'm returning to desktops after an 8 year hiatus is the ease of upgradability. That being said, even when I was building before, I never owned a top-of-the-line processor and, although the I-7 4820k isn't the absolute best Intel is currently producing, unless there's something I'm missing, it's darn close. So, yeah, I'm kinda stuck on that processor...unless you can offer me a better option for less money. I can always be persuaded by more for less. Like I said, I'm cheap.

I mean, go to socket 2011 for the 4820k. I'm working on parting out a system on Newegg now. When I have it all together, I'll post it for review.

That's not an upgrade at all, the only reason to go 2011 is for a hexa-core processor

Alright, here's a link to the wish list:

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=21155731

As you can see, it comes to $1737.88, and that's before I buy my operating system (Windows 7 Ultimate). So. Now I need to find a way to shave $500 - $600 off of that, and still get comparable performance. Suggestions?

Link doesn't work, but why are you buying all of it there?? That's 100s more than any build I had.