Next-gen Ati Card Benched!

razor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm worried about the cooling issues that have been popping up everywhere with the 4870 reviews now slowly leaking on to the market. The 4850 reviewed here already mentions ridiculous temps and the 4870 is mentioned to have up to 100+C temperatures!!! How long is my card (let alone the rest of my PC) going to last at that rate? I wanted to buy a 4870 on launch with my new build but I might be forced to wait until someone releases an aftermarket cooling solution for this card or at least one of the major manufacturers to release an upgraded cooling version of it.

Source: http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/24/first-r...and-hd-4850/25/

100C inside my case is not cool (pun intended).

Alan was able to get his temps down on his 4850 but putting AS5 on it. He was able to drop 10 degrees under load which is decent. But I agree the temps are concerning.

I have two 4850's arriving tommorrow for crossfire so this should be intresting lol

Keep us informed Bosco - I am waiting for the 4870 myself.

I didn't think AS5 was a good idea since it's conductive? I was going to use the Noctua NT-H1 or the AC MX-2 if I were to mod the 4870.

Ya I will prob get some 4870's as well just not available yet.

For the price I got them for I couldn't complain $168 each I figured what the heck lol

wow. very closer performance for a third of the price. that is ACE!

i'm anxious to see the 4870 as the rest of us are. can't wait to see that one will do :)

Alan was able to get his temps down on his 4850 but putting AS5 on it. He was able to drop 10 degrees under load which is decent. But I agree the temps are concerning.

I have two 4850's arriving tommorrow for crossfire so this should be intresting lol

Dave are you going to try folding on them? If so let us know how many PPD...

Dave are you going to try folding on them? If so let us know how many PPD...

Haha as if you had to ask me that :lol:

Yup I am going to be pulling out my 8800GTX and throwing it on the shelf and tossing the 4850's in there and see what happens. I think you said they still have not figured out how to use crossfire on folding is that right?

Guest ajmatson
I didn't think AS5 was a good idea since it's conductive? I was going to use the Noctua NT-H1 or the AC MX-2 if I were to mod the 4870.

Yea I know but nothing else was working and it seemed to do a good job. I carefully applied it and spread it thin with a playing card so no worries there. Has been working great for 4 days so far until I can get a better cooler for it.

Haha as if you had to ask me that :lol:

Yup I am going to be pulling out my 8800GTX and throwing it on the shelf and tossing the 4850's in there and see what happens. I think you said they still have not figured out how to use crossfire on folding is that right?

No they have not got crossfire working yet, however you can just disable crossfire and hook a monitor to each card and enable both displays and set it up using -gpu 0 and gpu 1 flags. I had both my 3870x2 working with Vista and my QX9650. I found that running just one card with one SMP done a little better than trying to run 2-gpus and a SMP. I think the two gpu clients take away to much from the SMP client leaving only 2 cores for it plus vista doesn't help. I Went back to XP and a single VC with a quad on 4 rigs...

I don't think i have the room to get both my 24's on this desk so I will prob just go with the one I guess. Does folding work at all with Crossfire turned on or does it have to be turned off completely?