Windows XP on New ASUS Motherboard

wingspar

I am rebuilding my computer using the same case.  For now, the build is on hold.  When I get back to it, I would like to be able to use my existing hard drive with XP on it so I can continue to work.  When I have time to install Win 7 on the new SSD, I can just unplug the old drive, and begin installing the OS, antivirus and programs, and when I need to get work done, I can go back to XP.  A sheet of paper came with the board with instructions for installing XP.  I do know I need to reinstall the OS cause it

advanced controller host interface,....it's a newer more modern hard drive protocol that kinda gets away from the older style ATA and PATA device operations,...i'm certainly not the most up on it and i'm sure there are much more knowlegable folks in here that can expound on it, but i'm pretty sure it was developed by intel in order to allow the new very large hard drives to be recognized and fully utilized by the operating system...

kwik edit: the achi was included in this mobo bios, but you might be able to download a bios update that includes the achi, if it doesn't already have it... don't quote me on this but maybe ?

actually this gamer is set up to dual boot in win8 when setup in RAID and win7 when switched to achi...both work really well and everything is seen.

Check motherboard manufacturer's page and downlaod those drivers. Those should be listed in the download section.

Use a flash drive to store them temporarily and when the prompt comes up while installing XP, just use the driver from flash drive.

Be warned. Sometimes i may get complicated.

Or as a shortcut, you may use some heavily modded XP image. If you are lucky one of them will work with your motherboard. For info google.

Check motherboard manufacturer's page and downlaod those drivers. Those should be listed in the download section.

Use a flash drive to store them temporarily and when the prompt comes up while installing XP, just use the driver from flash drive.

Be warned. Sometimes i may get complicated.

Or as a shortcut, you may use some heavily modded XP image. If you are lucky one of them will work with your motherboard. For info google.

Thanks, but that takes me to what looks like the same file on the Intel site cjloki gave me the link to earlier.  I

Now that microsoft is trying to bury xp most new mb's don't support it , usually they just supply drivers for vista, w7, and w8.You can find modded drivers for xp out there but they usually don't work right or are almost impossible to install. :no:

If you set your BIOS to IDE mode for your SATA ports you shouldn't need any driver at all. :cheers:

But that's one of the horrible things that one can do. :lol:

On the other hand I don't even know whether any SSD will even work in IDE mode.

If you set your BIOS to IDE mode for your SATA ports you shouldn't need any driver at all. :cheers:

Would that really work?  My current hard drive with XP on it is a SATA drive.

My other half