FX-8350 @ 4.7GHz - OCCT Question

TRWeiss1

What board do you have? It could very well be power-limited. My 8120 at 4.5 GHz pulled in excess of 400 watts when fully loaded...not all boards can deliver that kind of power safely.

:blink: waaaaaaaant..

And now we know why your gear sets it self on fire.. :haha:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"CPU Current Capability" and "CPU/NB Current Capability" ... Are these things I should be statically setting instead of leaving them on "Auto"? Could the issue I'm experiencing be the NB slowing the processor down because it's either a) not running fast enough, or b) not getting sufficient voltage?

I've got the ASUS M5A99X. Very possible that the PSU is failing after being loaded for a few minutes, or maybe the mobo can't handle it... On another note, what's "ErP"? Saw that in the BIOS under the Advanced APM settings. Right now I have it Enabled because I'm not sure what it does...

Hmm...that's not a crazy high-end board. Do you have any way to monitor the VRM temperatures with the bundled software? I'm betting the VRMs are overheating and causing it to throttle the CPU until they cool off a bit.

:blink: waaaaaaaant..

And now we know why your gear sets it self on fire.. :haha:

One board burned (after 3 years of abuse) before I knew to monitor VRM temps and power consumption. :lol: That kind of power draw just goes hand-in-hand with high clocks on a Zambezi though. See: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8150-processor-review,8.html

"CPU Current Capability" and "CPU/NB Current Capability" ... Are these things I should be statically setting instead of leaving them on "Auto"? Could the issue I'm experiencing be the NB slowing the processor down because it's either a) not running fast enough, or b) not getting sufficient voltage?

You have to be careful with those settings. Just because the board allows you to set a ridiculous current limit doesn't mean it can actually deliver that much current without exploding. :P

What are the options other than "Auto"?

Oh I totally realize that, which is why I've left them alone for now. :P Haha.

The options beyond "Auto" are percentages. 100%, 110%, 120%, 130%, and I believe 140%... Might be 1 more setting after 140%, but the last setting (whatever it may be, 140% or 150%) is highlighted in red.

Here's an easy test -

Drop your clocks to ~4.4 GHz and watch the same OCCT test. I bet it lasts longer before throttling each time. If your motherboard came with any monitoring software I'd install it to see if it has a VRM temperature sensor (I bet it does). See if it's hitting a high point each time it starts to throttle.

I didn't see if you tried t with APM off or not. If you don't when you hit a pull exceeding 26.5A on the 12v rail it will drop cores.

as far as EPU ERP, those are energy saving features, turn them off. link

The capacitance levels you were speaking about. They are part of the OC settings.

Read this. link The board is a different model, but they work the same on your board. I had to OC the A10-5800K with them. Hopefully this will give some insight on the foreign setting you are seeing

Thanks guys. I'll definitely back the clock down and see how long it takes to throttle down. Regarding APM, I've disabled all of the APM settings that I've come across. That's not to say that I couldn't have missed a few, since it seems like they're scattered throughout. There was 1 ERP setting that I found, so I'll disable that when I get home. I figured it was some energy conserving nonsense...

I'll go check out those 2 links you posted... Thanks!

"The CPU and CPU/NB current capability will keep the CPU from throttling down at high loads when raised." (from your 2nd link)

So it absolutely DOES sound like this could cause the CPU to throttle down. Now, when leaving it on "Auto", does that mean it *should* ramp the CPU/NB current up and down as needed, or won't it be delivering sufficient current when left in the "Auto" position with a high overclock? I can mess with these settings, but they make me a bit nervous...Then of course, there's the question of HOW high should you take them?

Edit :: And while we're on the topic of overclocking, how hot is too hot for the FX-8350? I've not been letting it get over 70 deg C.

Edited by TRWeiss1

Hmmmm, so I wonder what the hell is going on with my water cooler then? Should be keeping it colder than that since some claim to be running at 5.2 and seeing 70 deg C! Supposedly they come prefilled with water so I just installed it, made the connections, and powered everything up. How can I tell if the pump is running, and if it's cooling as it should? I've got the Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer.

Might have to reseat the water block.

Im going to watch this very closely, as i have the same board as you and l'am also getting the came CPU. But it wont be till after Christmas till l get it installed. Wife has it in her hands :glare:

I have water cooling too, bigger system though. So we can compare out settings and clocks speeds as well. :cheers: