I hate to say I told you so

so haswell preview is out and the benchmarks says it all. people who thought haswell was going to be amazing and outdue the 2011 lost the bet. I said 2011 socket will be around for a while and since it's still leading aganist the yet to be relased haswell. I think the 2011 socket will be around for a few more generations.

edit: did i forget to mention the 8core 2011 will be out in Q3? :)

Edited by hornybluecow

Well, heck, even the i7 980X I got at near 4.3GHz is still beating a 3770K at 4.8GHz (and I got the 980X cheaper than a 3770K even at Microcenter), so I'm not surprised. Before where multi-threaded applications weren't as prevalent, then yeah, the newer generation might be worth it. However, even games are utilizing multi-threads these days.

IMO, it's happening due to lack of competition at the top from any other (read second) company. From last 2-3 gen, Intel has kind of stalled the improvement of raw performance of processors.

Edited by d6bmg

Well good grief...i have been loving the idea of the 2011 and wanting to build one for some time but my bank account doesn't love it the way I do...i thot hasslewell was gonna be the next fastest most powerful thing ever, but I guess not...oh well...

I am not so sure it is lack of competition, though that is a factor for sure, but more so a lack of need. Even the big professional apps that push the hardware are having trouble really keeping the CPUs fully fed. Do not get me wrong you can push the chips but things that do that in the real world are very rare. The important part of the CPU right now is less the performance and more the power consumption. Small form factor is beginning to push hard even at the enthusiast level and low power / low heat is a big deal. Further the focus has shifted in real world apps a lot from a single minded approach of CPU horsepower to the duality of GPU in combination with CPU. Finally I serious wonder if we are seeing a point where this base architecture has begun to hit a wall. I could be we need a truly new architecture to see a real performance race again and that is something companies are scared to do. A truly new architecture would mean a lot of changes in software and not a 100% sure system to keep older programs effective. 

I don't care about the desktop renditions, but the laptop chips and their slated efficiency bump should prove to be more interesting. There's little motivation to drastically improve desktop CPUs, but the mobile market wants their CPUs strong but with ever increasing battery life!!

Bring on the haswell laptop CPUs!!!

We still know nothing about its overclocking ability. Even if CPC performance is only slightly above IB, if it OC's like crazy and fixes some of the heat issues of the IB die then it will be a success.

I'd sell my few month old 3770k setup for a Haswell if they hit 5ghz+ on good air...if not, then I'll stick to my 4.75ghz 24/7 IB. Heck, we don't even know if the IHS is soldered or TIM'd, and that right there could be huge for better temps.

Basically, its still too early to tell :P.

We still know nothing about its overclocking ability. Even if CPC performance is only slightly above IB, if it OC's like crazy and fixes some of the heat issues of the IB die then it will be a success.

I'd sell my few month old 3770k setup for a Haswell if they hit 5ghz+ on good air...if not, then I'll stick to my 4.75ghz 24/7 IB. Heck, we don't even know if the IHS is soldered or TIM'd, and that right there could be huge for better temps.

Basically, its still too early to tell :P.

This is all about showing it first to get the most traffic for their site.  As much as I want to see the results I will not give them the page views.

I hope it does all this and more but only time will tell.