24" vs 27"

acpowell

I copied the specs from Dell's website. So unless I copied them wrong they are acurate.

At the very least the viewing angle and brightness specs are off from everywhere else I've seen them listed. Odd that Dell would be wrong...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the OP is buying. If I read it right, he has two monitors already on hand and is trying to decide which one is the best.

He has been using the Dell for a while, but is thinking about switching to the HP. We could probably debate the merits of either one from here until eternity, but in reality the only question (and right answer) is to use the monitor the OP likes the most. Both are good monitors for different reasons. Although i wouldn't get too attached to the HP monitor because if it's like a lot of other HP products it will last 2-3 years at most and then unexpectedly die :) Engineered, designed, sourced and manufactured to specs. that make it past the warranty period..... sometimes.

The 24" Dell.

Having used Ultrasharps for a few years I cant recommend them enough.

Cracking screens!

I preffer 1920x1200 too. For everything but movies, the extra height is just nice.

I use to run 2x 20" screens, which was 1600 x 1200.

I then 'upgraded' to 2x 23" screens which where 1080p.

The extra width did not help, but I sure missed the height.

Eventually went with 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2410 with 1920x1200.

I have a Dell monitor and an Optiquest one, and I have to say apart from the auto adjust being rubbish, the Dell screen offers much better colour and clarity than my other screen once set up, but I agree, go with whatever monitor you prefer :thumbsup:

If I were picking for myself it would be the Dell 2407WFP. That is an outstanding monitor suitable for many different uses. Since you're primary use will be at a desk - I can't find a compelling reason where extra real-estate or increased viewing angles will benefit you all that much. If you do any color/accuracy sensitive work then the Dell is a no brainer.

Another point - 1920x1080 is a wide screen resolution - and some may find that distracting if you do a lot of text work, spreadsheets, word etc.

I use a nice 1920x1080 monitor at my office, it's good and works ok, but I much prefer the 1920x1200 monitor I have at home.

+1 I agree completely. Go with the 24" monitor.

I'd probably go with the 24" with the more standard resolution. Bigger sceen just doesn't seem right without the higher resolution. 27" should be 2560x1440 or better yet a 30" with 2650x1600 :evilgrin:

I disagree about the HP thing. I've had my 22" up for over 5 years. Maybe I'm just lucky? I've never heard anything bad about them before.

You're lucky :) And you've got the luxury of having an older unit designed, sourced and manufactured before HP started to really hit the skids. Our company was the only authorized HP North American factory repair center for HP monitors and printers for years (until they stole our technology, expertise and even some employees) to move it to Mexico. During that time I observed a steady decline in the quality of components used in HP products.

I'm not knocking HP - the 2711x is a fine monitor. It's just not the one I'd use if I were presented with the same dilema. I 100% agree with Coors. If I were looking at a 27" or larger computer monitor for productivity tasks I'd be looking for higher resolution than 1920x1080. That's a fine resolution for multi-media, but I personally think it's too much of a compromise for other tasks.

My HP monitor has been fine. Only had it about 18 months though. But most monitors regardless of brand use the same panels made by a few companies. Not uncommon for a Dell, HP, Benq, Samsung, etc monitor to have the same exact panels.