24" vs 27"

acpowell

I have 2 monitors that I can could use and I am not sure which to choose. Based on specs alone which do you think is the better monitor? This will be for work related things (I work in I.T.) not gaming. I cannot use both. Has to be one or the other. There is no cost envolved. I was given both but only have room for one.

Display Type: LCD monitor / TFT active matrix

Diagonal Size: 24"

Viewable Size: 24"

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen

Native Resolution: 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz

Pixel Pitch: 0.27 mm

Brightness: 450 cd/m

Edited by acpowell

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the specs I would go with the 27". Better viewing angles(are you sure it's TN?), you will get slightly larger text which helps to reduce eye fatigue, the lower brightness is not an issue since you should not have that maxed to reduce eye fatigue as well.

The 24" is an S-PVA screen and I think your specs may be off a bit...I see very different specs elsewhere.

I'd go with the 24" for both the increased color depth, contrast ratio, and resolution.

I would go with the 27" purely for size. I went from a 23" sammy to a 27" acer and never looked back. The acer was a lower resolution(1080p) than the samsung (2048x1152).

I usually don't like comparing specs but rather just turning them on and comparing.

Edited by viperk1

If I were picking for myself it would be the Dell 2407WFP. That is an outstanding monitor suitable for many different uses. Since you're primary use will be at a desk - I can't find a compelling reason where extra real-estate or increased viewing angles will benefit you all that much. If you do any color/accuracy sensitive work then the Dell is a no brainer.

Another point - 1920x1080 is a wide screen resolution - and some may find that distracting if you do a lot of text work, spreadsheets, word etc.

I use a nice 1920x1080 monitor at my office, it's good and works ok, but I much prefer the 1920x1200 monitor I have at home.

The 24" is an S-PVA screen and I think your specs may be off a bit...I see very different specs elsewhere.

I'd go with the 24" for both the increased color depth, contrast ratio, and resolution.

I copied the specs from Dell's website. So unless I copied them wrong they are acurate.

If I were picking for myself it would be the Dell 2407WFP. That is an outstanding monitor suitable for many different uses. Since you're primary use will be at a desk - I can't find a compelling reason where extra real-estate or increased viewing angles will benefit you all that much. If you do any color/accuracy sensitive work then the Dell is a no brainer.

Another point - 1920x1080 is a wide screen resolution - and some may find that distracting if you do a lot of text work, spreadsheets, word etc.

I use a nice 1920x1080 monitor at my office, it's good and works ok, but I much prefer the 1920x1200 monitor I have at home.

Yes currently I am using 2 of the dells, but didn't know if I should change one out with the HP. From the sounds of it I get a 50/50 of change vs not to change. The other big issue I forgot to mention is that I only have 1 digital connector, so one monitor will have to be VGA the other DVI.

AC - a couple other things to consider.

The HP has a glossy screen (if it's the one I'm thinking about)

The Dell has a matte screen

This may or may not matter depending on your working environment - but for some folks this would help make the decision one way or another

How do the input options compare between the two? Does this matter to you? Are both HDCP compliant etc. Again, these small things might not affect your decision one way or another. Someone above mentioned trying them both - which I think is a great idea. That is exactly what I would do. But I'd start with the Dell just so you can try and remain objective. Sometimes (especially when it comes to TVs and monitors) our brains are wired to think that bigger is always better.

AC - a couple other things to consider.

The HP has a glossy screen (if it's the one I'm thinking about)

The Dell has a matte screen

This may or may not matter depending on your working environment - but for some folks this would help make the decision one way or another

How do the input options compare between the two? Does this matter to you? Are both HDCP compliant etc. Again, these small things might not affect your decision one way or another. Someone above mentioned trying them both - which I think is a great idea. That is exactly what I would do. But I'd start with the Dell just so you can try and remain objective. Sometimes (especially when it comes to TVs and monitors) our brains are wired to think that bigger is always better.

It is deffinatly glossy, and although it might not make a huge difference I can see when it might anoy me sometimes. I have been using the dell for ever and was just given the HP so I know full well what the dell looks like. I supose I can always give it a try along side one of the dells. (wish I could use all 3 but the laptop will not allow it) As for connectors; I always feel that DVI gives a better picture than VGA.