OCC Review: Maxtor Shared Storage II 1Terabyte Network Hard Drive

OCC Review: Maxtor Shared Storage II 1Terabyte Network Hard Drive

100x20-digg-button.gif

1 Terabyte or 1,000 Gigabytes of storage...imagine the things you could do with that amount of storage space. You could keep your families pictures, movies, music and files all in one convenient location, accessible to your whole family all in one convenient device. Just a few short years ago 1 gigabyte was considered a large hard drive. My, how times have changed. Now anything less than a couple hundred gigabytes of storage is not considered to be a large amount of storage. With the newest 8 and 10 megapixel cameras out on the market, the file size for pictures is always increasing, so naturally your storage needs to do the same. This product at 1,000 gigabytes may well fill that need…for now!

9_thumb.jpg

I was going to initially mention that $500 for a terabyte of networked storage was pretty reasonable, but then I went to Newegg and saw that there are 500GB drives available for only $99!! I thought something may have been wrong, but then I saw that the 750GB drive was only $209, and that Hitachi's 1TB drive costs only $389. I had no idea hard drive prices had fallen so much in the past couple of months :blink:

So it would seem that this drive is in fact quite overpriced when just the drives themselves are less than half the retail price of this thing. I seriously doubt the network software is worth over $250.

Well, two 500 GB drives would cost about $200 ($99 each) and then a mini itx board for about $90 and a mini psu for about $70... So a whole TB server system for about $380 after you get the RAM...

Well, two 500 GB drives would cost about $200 ($99 each) and then a mini itx board for about $90 and a mini psu for about $70... So a whole TB server system for about $380 after you get the RAM...

Why would you need all that? I just checked on Newegg and saw a hard drive enclosure with networking capabilities, and it got some pretty good reviews too. It does pretty much everything this thing does, and all for $49. Granted, that one only holds on drive, but it gives you the option of hooking up multiple drives in RAID 0/1. Also, if you bought that Hitachi 1TB drive for $389 and this enclosure for $49, it would still be cheaper than this Maxtor drive.

well mine is still cheaper...nvm...i think a 1TB mini server that costs less and can do more (anything really) is pretty cool. But if your not into DIY, the review looks great and so dose the drive.

Yea, I'll admit that if you're looking for a pre-packaged solution, then this is a great drive. Plus, you can find it cheaper online, I think I saw it for $419 somewhere. So I guess it's not that bad of a deal