Macro shots with my new camera

Guest ajmatson

Guest ajmatson

So I recently got a new camera, a CANON EOD 550D (Rebel T2i) and I have been playing with some Marco Photography Techniques to get real close up shots of computer components on boards. So far this has turned out better than I though. These were taken with a stock 18-55mm Canon lens set at 55mm and using a series of Macro extension tubes on manual settings. They were post processed using Digital Photo Professional to make adjustments to the RAW photo. I still have some work to do to perfect it but what are your thoughts? Does anyone else have any tips, techniques or product suggestions?

6900091769_63b070583b_z.jpg

6900091659_e4791cf242_z.jpg

6900091557_f102d5177d_z.jpg

6900091459_496cea82fa_z.jpg

You need to either close down the F-stop a touch to bring the whole chip within the Depth Of Field (DOF) or you need to use a tripod and take series of shots with the focus point set at the subject, and then either side (before, beyond) and recombine the images by stacking them (focus/DOF bracketing)

I'd highly recommend using Adobe Lightroom for RAW processing and initial "darkroom" adjustments...

You need to either close down the F-stop a touch to bring the whole chip within the Depth Of Field (DOF) or you need to use a tripod and take series of shots with the focus point set at the subject, and then either side (before, beyond) and recombine the images by stacking them (focus/DOF bracketing)

Why? That would only be if he wanted shots that were sharp all the way through. They look great as is. It is more of an arty feel.

Why? That would only be if he wanted shots that were sharp all the way through.

That's kinda the point of taking an up-close shot like that. The subject of the picture should be completely sharp (since I'm assuming he wants to do these for reviews). :)

They look great regardless.

Why? That would only be if he wanted shots that were sharp all the way through. They look great as is. It is more of an arty feel.

:withstupid: I think it would look a little odd being completely in focus. I prefer the "natural" look without a ton of editing

Guest ajmatson

Thank you for the comments. I finally have a camera that will allow me to take high detail shots like this for reviews so hopefully I can put out some more good ones :)

I think some of you have mis-read what I said... IMHO, the subject (in this case, the IC package or dual 7-segment display) should be entirely in focus... anything else in the shot can be out of the depth of field, and does indeed look better for it - the subject is enhanced by being in focus when the rest of the scene isn't...

I just think it looks like you didn't focus properly if the subject is out of focus...

Also, Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol wouldn't go amiss on those grubby components :)

What I'm saying is, you can ease up on the narrow depth of field just enough to get the subject pin-sharp, and have out-of-focus foreground/background, and your attention is naturally drawn to the objects in focus.

Not the best example, but here is a review pic where I'm talking about the Sanyo capacitors used to regulate the power. You can see the near corner of the PCB is out of focus, and most of the stuff behind the Sanyo caps is out of focus too, so I find my gaze drawn to the focussed objects. If they were out of focus at all, it would feel like the photo had no strong focal point / subject.

027.jpg

I just think it looks like you didn't focus properly if the subject is out of focus...

I am with hardnrg in each of the pics the main focus is a least partially out of focus towards it's edges and that is in all of the pics.

In the first two the top and bottom of the chips is slightly out, no issue with the rest of the PCB being out but the entire chip imo should have been sharply in focus.

The last two are both partially out of focus toward the bottom of the subject.

Otherwise it does appear you have a rather nice camera for taking macro shots it is capturing a large amount of detail.

I just tried that on my $20 camera (Fujifilm AX200 12MP). I cannot get that close to any of the chips (Total camera noob :D)

It can't take pictures of larger things half as good as those though.

If you could, you would be some sort of genius because point and shoots generally have terrible macro, as in none at all.

If you could, you would be some sort of genius because point and shoots generally have terrible macro, as in none at all.

My Sony DSC-W530 is pretty good for macro. Can play with quite a few more iso and focus as well as flash settings than most PnS cameras. It is speced to a focal length down to 4cm however my own finding find I can still focus it much closer.