Fan Control

Greetings to the forum. I am in the middle of a new PC build and I am using the XFX 790i MOBO. I want to power all my fans off the PSU through

a front mounted Scythe 4 fan controller including the CPU fan. If there are no fans connected to the MOBO fan headers, will the BIOS detect this

and give me problems with beep codes and possibly refusing to boot ? Can I dissable all fan settings in the BIOS so I have complete control ?

Thanks, busterbvi.

Hrmm.. interesting question..

I am not positive, I would like to say "no" but I think it is sort of a "Fail Safe" for the CPU.

What you should be able to do though if you want to go that route:

Usually the Motherboard has a small 4pin fan connector.

(this is an example:)

Pin 1: Gound

Pin 2: +12v

Pin 3: Sense

Pin 4: Speed control

I am thinking if you keep the 4pin connector attached to the CPU Heatsink fan, cut/solder/heatshrink the Ground, +12v and Speed Control to another set of wires/connector for your Baybus.

Then take that 4pin connector with just the "Sense" wire still attached and plug it in. The motherboard should recognize something is connected and should allow for your PC to boot up.

This is just my theory though, I don't have any proof it will or will not work.

It may also be possible if you grab one of them connectors they use on the old IDE Hard Drives (The Jumper Pins) and then place one of them on the Sense+Speed control pin.

It may make a connection and trick your motherboard in to thinking it has a fan plugged in to it.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in here for you.

At any given rate you can always take the stock CPU fan that comes with your CPU and test out the 4pin idea on the board before hand.

So your not hacking up your good CPU Fan.

Thanks for the reply, I had thought of snipping off the 3 pin plug off an old fan with a few inches of wire and soldering together the speed / sense wires making a jumper and shoving it on the CPU fan header to fool the MOBO,

what do you think ??

Edited by Busterbvi

That just might work as well.

The one thing that concerns me with keeping the speed sensor wire connected to the fan/motherboard.

I understand you will be putting the CPU Fan on a Baybus to control the fan speeds (am I right on assuming that?)

I wonder if you will have issues with keeping the speed sensor wire hooked to the motherboard as well.

I don't know exactly how the motherboard will try and control your fan assuming your CPU gets hotter or colder.

You know what I mean?

Kind of like tug a war between your setting and the setting the motherboard thinks it should be at.

I don't think I would connect the speed control to the motherboard and fan. *shrugs*

If you do end up using a jumper on the motherboard plug for the 4/3pin use the single pin jumpers if you can find them.

I think if you use the dual pin jumper you could end up having the ground and +12v touch. If that happen I would assume you would break something.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the tug of war thing, will the board overide the manual setting or will the controller overide the board ? this is the question.

I think the wise way forward would be to connect up the fans as normall and when up & running check the BIOS to see if the fans can be disabled, if they can

then I am on a winner, i can disable and put everything through the Scythe 4 fan controller on the front. I am quite consistent with my computing, I want to be able to fine tune the system when I know its under the most load that I will put on it and get the system temps and fan speeds right on. The Scythe has an

alarm feature so I am not worried about cooking anything, The CPU temp sensing wire will go on the side of my TRUE heatsink as close to the CPU as possible.

Would you agree that this is the sensible aproach ?

Sounds Sweet, that Baybus should do the trick for you!

I made a homemade one a long long time ago. It had a 12v 7v and 5v toggle.

At the time I was running the old Vantec Tornado's. (Dont know if they still exist or not. They were super loud.)

@7v they were pretty quiet but at 5v you could not even hear them.

@12v it sounded like a jet plane taking off lol!!