jdm_freek

ok upgrade time 

i can get an evga gtx 780 for $399

or

2 evga gtx 760 for 399

any suggestions 

Edited by jdm_freek
  • Like 1

The 780 should (ideally) hold its value better. Another thing is that it would be easier to upgrade, given that you can purchase another 780. Lastly, the SLI setup is completely dependent upon how well your program or game supports SLI. I don't think it's a problem nowadays, but like when ARMA 2 first came out it didn't support CFX and it upset me deeply.

ETA: There are a lot of other reasons to pick a single strong card over SLI or CFX. Some of those are:

A single card has less power draw (generally)

A single card has less of a chance for a CPU bottleneck

Dual cards tend to have heat issues

Dual cards have a harder time fitting (comfortably, at the very least) in small cases

Edited by Locutus

Hi Locutus, jdm_freek!

This is my first time posting here. I've been wanting to build my own system for years, but its only now that I have the job to fund it.  :woot:

I've also been wondering about SLI/Crossfire. Assuming that the following factors are considered:

-Power Draw is not an issue

-Liquid Cooling will be used for the system

-The chassis will be mid to large size

Will the 760 SLI outperform the 780?

TIA!

A 780 for $399???? I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.  That is an excellent price.  I would go with the 780 since you are getting it so cheap.  Mine is awesome and I will likely add a second down the road when needed.  Hell, at 400 bucks I would add a second one right now.  How did you swing that deal?   :woot:

The 760sli setup will outperform a 780, but that said I would still go with the 780. 

The biggest problem would be the vram, 2gb just doesn't cut it anymore, and I am a little upset with nvidia for not adding more that 3gb on the 780/780ti either.  If you got two 760 4gb cards, that would be the hands down performance winning setup.  

A quick search found this benchmark comparison: http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?page=0&itemid=1168

The biggest problem would be the vram, 2gb just doesn't cut it anymore

i still have yet to crack 1.5gb on ANY game, so 2gb is plenty if you ask me.

Guess you've never modded skyrim then ;)

I'd say 780, I would be onboard in saying the vram will ultimately limit the potential of the 760 pair. If you actually needed two 760s to play a game, it'll likely need more than 2GB of Vram and already be bottlenecking and experiencing rather severe framerate drops

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'd say 780, I would be onboard in saying the vram will ultimately limit the potential of the 760 pair. If you actually needed two 760s to play a game, it'll likely need more than 2GB of Vram and already be bottlenecking and experiencing rather severe framerate drops

Was gonna say. I only have a 1680x1050 monitor and my gtx 670 is using all of its 2 GB of VRAM. I even go below 30 fps in large areas with lots of grass and such. 

Well i don't mod anything tbh, i play the games how they are meant to be played (lawl).

So on regular gaming no game will need more than 1gb/1.2gb videoram, if you mod skyrim, it is your own fault you don't have enough memory ;P

Well i don't mod anything tbh, i play the games how they are meant to be played (lawl).

So on regular gaming no game will need more than 1gb/1.2gb videoram, if you mod skyrim, it is your own fault you don't have enough memory ;P

I'd still have my 5970 if it weren't for Skyrim dropping a big ol' turd onto its mirrored 1GB vram....learn from my mistake. At some point along the way, even if you slip by without issue for a bit, the 760s will be ultimately limited by their lack of vram. If you got two 4GB versions than you're set for a much longer time, assuming the price increase doesn't really ruin the value.