Haswell i7 (Final Check)

Grape

well lucky for the op I usally say don't mix work and gaming computers but just get the best i7 like a 3930k and a ton of ram. the Haswell is fast but the 2011 socket is faster and those extra 2 cores really can make a difference in video rendering.

:withstupid:

And I would like to add, get 1 GTX titan.

Hd7970 is not good for rendering purpose. It's a good gaming graphics card, but definitely not a good card for rendering.

And, does you friend really need 4TB of single storage drive?? It's a bit dangerous as loss of that lone drive could result in huge data loss. Either get 2x 2TB WD Blacks and run them in RAID 1 or get one 2TB WD Black and a good 128/256GB SSD as a boot drive, which can also be used to store current works if necessary.

Edit: Corrected the wrongly typed part.

Edited by d6bmg

D6 - RAID 0 is the opposite of more resilient to failures.

Also - 7970s are more than capable for rendering unless you want just CUDA.

Yes, we've got to fix that.  Please do not recommend that folks store critical data on a RAID0 array.  That is just wrong information.  While I would RAID multiple smaller drives (instead of getting a huge 4Tb drive) the drives would be in RAID5 or RAID10 for the highest redundancy and data protection.

RAID0 is a "performance" array - highest performance but zero redundancy and zero fault tolerance.

And if I were  building a work / productivity / multimedia / gaming rig, I'd build it on socket 2011.  If you need to keep the budget in check you could always go with the 3820.  Not sure about pricing in your locale, but here the 3820 is less expensive than the 4770.

CPU:  Core i7 3820 - 29,628 Yen

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000312605/

Motherboard:  Asus P9X79 Pro - 25,969 Yen

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000312695/

RAM:  Patriot DDR3 2133Mhz 16Gb (4x4Gb) - 14,980 Yen

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000382043/

Now, other than your storage solution of (1) 4Tb drive - whereas I would go with 3 or 4 1Tb drives in a redundant/fault tolerant RAID array............

The only thing I would really change up is to squeeze an SSD into the build for the OS and important apps - 128Gb would be good, 256Gb would be better.

D6 - RAID 0 is the opposite of more resilient to failures.

I made the same mistake here and in another thread. I wanted to type RAID1 in both the places but ended up typing raid0. Corrected in both the places.

Sorry.

Yes, we've got to fix that.  Please do not recommend that folks store critical data on a RAID0 array.  That is just wrong information.  While I would RAID multiple smaller drives (instead of getting a huge 4Tb drive) the drives would be in RAID5 or RAID10 for the highest redundancy and data protection.

RAID0 is a "performance" array - highest performance but zero redundancy and zero fault tolerance.

Sorry man! I wanted to suggest RAID1 and ended up wrongly suggesting raid0.