Help OC FX4100

hello OC community,

i am new here and asking for help overclocking my fx4100 3.6 ghz stock chip..

the specs are as follows-

Processor-Amd FX4100

Motherboard-Asus M5a-78m LX

Ram- G Skill Ripjaws x 1600mhz

GPU-Asus HD7850 direct cu 2

CPU cooling-Stock

PSU-Corsair VS 650 watt

i would like to overclock my chip to atleast 4 ghz if possible but i dont know where to start ..i have overclocked intel chips before but not amd whenever i try to get it to 3.9ghz after some usage a reboot shows overclocking failed

please help and i would be needing step by step instructions.

thank you in advance.

manick

I believe you can enable turbo mode in your BIOS that should automatically overclock to 4.1GHz (IIRC).

If not you should be able to hit 4GHz, but I'd recommend an aftermarket cooler, the stock cooler isn't great. The Hyper 212 Evo is generally a reliable choice.

After you've installed the cooler, you should easily be able to hit 4GHz and up on multiplier alone. I think we have a guide to overclocking Bulldozer somewhere too.

hey euro fight thx for the responese bro

i have the cooler master cmp 350 cabinet.. can you please tell me if i can add a 212 evo without compromising closing space also i have 2x120 mm in front and back in push pull config and 2x80 mm from the side putting the air in.. can someone please explain the steps to manual overclocking

thanks for the immense support guys... also could you help me with my gpu? its an asus HD7850 Direct  II (2gb ddr5) i have overclocked it to 1111mhz and stock memory freq.  the idel temps are 35-37 c and under load are 50-55 c max  , can and should i overclock it further??

Those temps seem fine - AMD CPUs should ideally be kept below 70C, but video cards can go up to about 90C when stress testing fairly safely. You should have a bit of headroom, but you might want to consider the VRMs too.

I would like to warn you about the PSU you are using.

The whole VS series of Corsair is only made for Asia-Pacific region and are of terrible quality. There are no reliable reviews of them. Thus nobody knows how capable are they. But from some VS450 users in my current country I came to know that these units are terrible.

i have been using the psu for over an year now and it has proven to be quite good according to me... it powers a 9800 gx2 sli with no problem

Ok. Then from your feedback it looks like a descent PSU.

Do you have a wattmeter? If yes, then you can measure the wattage while overclocking. That can determine how good it is.