Playing with My Server Again

cchalogamer

I'm bored so I think I'll post things on the internet :D

So yeah in the...4/5 years my server has been living in it's current incarnation I have more or less neglected to clean it...like at all...so today's project was "clean Mr. Server"  This has been a project for the last week or two and I FINALLY got around to it.

I was smart enough to take some before pics...and wow it was bad :(

Oh almost forgot, my server lives on a bookshelf  :teehee:

Before:

y4rb.jpg

That's an overview of it all.  That PSU has been around since the second generation of the server (#4 as of now)  it's a 500w Dynex bought at Best Buy with a friend's employee discount in 2005.  People (including people here @ OCC) have laughed at me for that one but here it is 8 years later yet my 5.5yr old Silverstone OP650 is dead as brick.

niyk.jpg

That's my 6950 2GB unlocked to a 6970 folding away, it's only been in there for a month or two though so it wasn't too bad. Sadly I'm taking it out to save power around here. To the left of it is an old PNY 2 port RAID card that has run my 320GB RAID 1 array for as long as it's been in the server. It's a crap card and I don't need it with the current motherboard so it will be coming out too.

91cu.jpg

That's 2GB of old Kingston value ram, more than enough for this server's usage but I've got the ram from one of my old main rigs so it's being replaced too. (Actually that's where most of the server's parts come from old main rigs)

Now that you are prob wanting to hit me over the head with a big stick for letting it get that dirty (Yes I've seen worse but this is MINE lol)

After:

2l8h.jpg

Ohh pretty. That Dynex 500w got pulled out and it hurt me to take it out of 24/7 usage but it lacks SATA ports AND it wasn't even 80 Plus when new, the Antec BP550 is and it's even partly modular :) That's a 9400GT with 1GB of video memory..because it can really use that much...and a USB 3.0 card from one of my main rigs that doesn't need it anymore.

ooyp.jpg

This is a temporary HDD setup with metal plates holding them together and spaced but knowing me a year from now it'll still look like this. 

rx4w.jpg

Yeah the Power supply hides this nest of cables so I didn't worry about it and left it like this.

1yd7.jpg

4GB of Mushkin Redline that was a replacement form Mushkin when the 2GB kit I won here @ OCC went dead on me. 

ue11.png

And a quick screenshot of the basic info back in Windows.

Well there it is. Thoughs? Opinions? Questions?
Edited by cchalogamer

It really doesn't look that bad at all, my computer probably looks worse than that after a couple months. You got a ionic breeze or something? lol

Nah, I've got something better one of these that shares the room with it no wait....that's where most of the dirt dust and fur comes from.  To give you an idea the PSU too blowing out with an air compressor for nearly a full min to stop looking like a dust cloud kicked up by a tornado when I blew into it.

• 3 months later...

So as a random update, a few weeks ago I moved the old i5 and such from my old secondary rig into the server with a stock cooler.

33wo64g.jpg

Then yesterday I sold my 4670K and MSI Z87 board and needed the stock cooler to go with it.  That left me with only a cheap OEM Aluminum block water cooler to use and no case to mount the radiator to...so I got a little creative...or maybe just lazy.

2vb37s9.jpg

23w7hp5.jpg

Yeah, you know you like it :)

Screw it, if its worked for 8+ years why use a case?

Then again the bookshelf technically is the case/chassis, you have room to add basically anything onto the right with no case dimension constraints.

Function over form I always say.

I had an even better HDD rig in a past generation of the server

5lyu0h.jpg

(Yes that's the same Dynex PSU that I pulled from the server only this was a pic from 2006)

Now in my old age I've got all fancy and bought a HDD cage from a Rosewill server for $11 and set it up as in one of the WC pics above.  I've got to take a new pic of it today, I had to attach that radiator as once it got HOT in here and it was folding over the weekend the tubing would no longer support it and it fell off :lol:

Well I finally took a quick pic of my temporary radiator mounting solution (chances are I'll be using it until I have to move the radiator again) so why not post that up. I had to do this because when it gets hot in here the hoses get less stiff and the radiator will fall over.  Had that happen over the weekend and needed a quick fix so this wonderful this was born:

34yr4w5.jpg