Two Computers, One Monitor

Is there a way to share one monitor with two computers?

I am thinking of adding a Win 7 machine and would like to keep using my existing Win XP machine for a while but do not want or need to purchase another monitor.  The monitor is an expensive photo editing monitor.  Is there a way to have two computers and use the same monitor and just flip a switch to change computers?

I used a little switch a work before. Run 2 cables in and 1 out, switch it based on the one you use. I would suggest if you can just use a different cable like one DVI and the other VGA. Than all you have to do it press the button on the monitor instead of trying to find the doggle.

Most monitors these days have multiple input ports and built in switching so that's what I use...i have both the bloodbath and the folding machine connected to the 27" thru different inputs...

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

Yes, there is a way to run two computers off one monitor and mouse. You'll need a piece of hardware called a KVM switch. Here's one I found on a quick Amazon search, but there are others out there.

Hope this helps :)

Euro

My keyboard and mouse are PS/2.  My monitor hookup is HDMI.  I don

Edited by wingspar

The easiest way would be if your monitor has multiple inputs, use a different input port for the other computer.

For example, I had an Acer monitor that I hooked up to HDMI and DVI at the same time (one was my computer, the other my xbox 360) and when I wanted one or the other I would press the input button on it.

If you're willing to switch to USB input (they have PS2 to USB dongles that you can probably find for free) you could just get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801112