Intel Core i7 4770K Reviewed

Bosco

the image of the cpu-z screen on the overclocking page isnt correct, it shows the backside of a motherboard ;)

so....when can we expect the i5 gen 4 processors? :P

Fixed not so you can get a closer look at it.

Soon! LOL

Reading around the various reviews I have to say this chip is disappointing. The IGP in a chip at this price point makes little sense because people using it will put in discrete. Once you remove the IGP increase from the equation the performance boost is lack luster at best. I see little here to compel and Ivybridge or even a Sandybridge owner to jump into the new platform.

I think the impetus to upgrade comes from many at the 4 year end of term on their current hardware. As a step up for someone moving from say socket 775 AM2 or 1156 the IGP improvement is substantial to go along with the performance of the core. When you look at  people on SB and IVB its a harder sell for the reasons you listed.

No I am surprised at the tech sites giving this chip an award like it accomplished something amazing. I mean everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, disappointing performance not a big gain over the Ivy or for that matter even the Sandy but here is an award. How do you award anything to a chip that when compared to a chip two generations previous there is no compelling reason to upgrade?

It's only disappointing if you have unrealistic expectations.

Power efficiency is way up. 20% gain over SB in performance at similar clocks. Integrated VRMs with massively better sleep power. Massive jumps in IGP performance. Similar pricing despite all of this...and cheaper motherboards to boot.

What were you expecting? A huge step backwards like the direction AMD has gone (since you can go 2 generations back and get better performance)? :lol:

:withstupid:

Obviously most people who just upgraded last year or the year before aren't going to get one, but for those in the market for a new PC or major upgrade (read 3-yrs or longer), the 4770k is a pretty tempting option. It's certainly better than anything AMD has at that price level, the only question would be whether the added cost would be worth it over getting a 3770k when the price of those will probably drop now. If someone wants to future-proof then the 4770k would be the choice, but it may take another i7 or i5 release until we see a decent selection of reasonably priced motherboards with the new socket, so who knows. I wouldn't necessarily hold that against the 4770k when rating it, but I would hold it against Intel overall for going to yet another socket.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I believe Haswell's true beauty will shine in their mobile chips. This is where their higher efficiency and performance per clock will be far more noticeable and beneficial.

Thanks for the review though, I wouldn't mind one :)

looks like most of the new features are really for laptop users. native thunderbolt, HDMI, etc. For the desktop the only real improvement is the extra 6gbs Sata ports, otherwise I see zero reason for anyone to switch unless they are building a new computer.

one thing I did noticed is the Cinebench 11 scores for the 3960x was 9.5~  which is strange because I get 10.5 stock on a 3930k and OCed to 4.5ghz is 12.5~.  I didnt see if it was 64bit or 32bit which would make sense if it was the 32bit version.

Reading around the various reviews I have to say this chip is disappointing. The IGP in a chip at this price point makes little sense because people using it will put in discrete. Once you remove the IGP increase from the equation the performance boost is lack luster at best. I see little here to compel and Ivybridge or even a Sandybridge owner to jump into the new platform.

I think the impetus to upgrade comes from many at the 4 year end of term on their current hardware. As a step up for someone moving from say socket 775 AM2 or 1156 the IGP improvement is substantial to go along with the performance of the core. When you look at  people on SB and IVB its a harder sell for the reasons you listed.

I agree though if the pricing on Z&& based boards can stay below the new boards and the Sandy or Ivy's fall in price they actually make a better value purchase.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I believe Haswell's true beauty will shine in their mobile chips. This is where their higher efficiency and performance per clock will be far more noticeable and beneficial.

The CPU with the HD 5300 GTe seems interesting ;)

The CPU with the HD 5300 GTe seems interesting ;)

Yes it does but it a locked core so on one side they put together an even better IGP they kept it on a locked core. Reason stands that most of the folks buying an unlocked core will be buying a discrete card to go with it.

looks like most of the new features are really for laptop users. native thunderbolt, HDMI, etc. For the desktop the only real improvement is the extra 6gbs Sata ports, otherwise I see zero reason for anyone to switch unless they are building a new computer.

Recently Intel is more interested in building power-saver chips, which reflect its main area of focus - which seems to be the the mobile computers like laptop & ultra-books. I think that's the reason I can see more & more improvement in features related to mobile workstation. It s indeed a sad state for desktop users.

• Like 1

one thing I did noticed is the Cinebench 11 scores for the 3960x was 9.5~  which is strange because I get 10.5 stock on a 3930k and OCed to 4.5ghz is 12.5~.  I didnt see if it was 64bit or 32bit which would make sense if it was the 32bit version.

I soooooo called this once back when Haswell was first lost haha

Recently Intel is more interested in building power-saver chips, which reflect its main area of focus - which seems to be the the mobile computers like laptop & ultra-books. I think that's the reason I can see more & more improvement in features related to mobile workstation. It s indeed a sad state for desktop users.

Not really, I blame AMD more than anyone...sure their FX chips have solid competitive performance when the mood catches them right but they are aren't very efficient for what they do... Intel has the best performers and they are more efficient doing it, so even though Intel isn't improving their chips as fast as they used to in literal performance, they actually are improving them as a whole unit better than an AMD processor.

why hashwell lacks the expectations of the gamers in a nutshell:

its a little gain over the ivi bridge but that isnt really suprising as intel probably has hit a ceiling perfomance wise on processors (desktop) and are now focusing more on the portable side of performance (laptop/tablet)

i know people want to have 40%+ perfomance gain on their current gen processors if a new processor is released but isnt this asking a bit to much of a company?

or is it maybe because amd cant deliver decent performance compaired to the intel chips they are getting lazy?

i'l just wait until that i5 is released and is priced decent enough for me to upgrade although i doubt il see a huge improvement over my current i5@ 4.0ghz.