Occ Wants You To Join Our Folding@home Team!

Nemo

Stanford University's Folding@home distributed computing project uses idle processor cycles from contributors' computers around the world to study the mechanics of how proteins assemble, or fold, themselves. When that process doesn't happen correctly, it can lead to diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and some forms of cancer among others.

OCC has a folding team, team number 12772, dedicated to helping further this important research. You can use your idle cycles from your CPU and GPU to be part of this team by downloading the Folding@home software from Stanford's site and using team # 12772 when installing the software.

OCC is planning on a new contest for folding team members sometime in the near future, so now is the time to begin folding if you haven't already. For those of our dedicated team members, maybe this would be a good time to add another rig or put folding on your GPU for the first time. We're still in the process of finalizing the contest details, which we will release when the time comes, so don't start pestering us for specifics just yet. By joining now, you can ensure you have everything set up and ready to go when the contest begins.

If you're new to folding you can post your questions in the OCC Teams forum and we have lots of experienced folders who can help you get started. I'd like to encourage everyone to consider helping further this research project by becoming a member of the OCC folding team.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU folding will be coming back online soon, VMware has screwed up on me! Also waiting on new folding software to take advantage of the ati stream processing too :) I've broken into the top 100 :foldon:

I've got an old Gateway Essential that is almost ten years old folding, along with a four year old Athlon XP 3000+ computer, and my current computer listed in my signature, which is going on five years old. They are doing CPU folding, as the GPUs in all of them cannot run the folding software.

So yeah, no idea on how to get any more points here, lol.

But to everyone else, keep folding!

Edited by Ediseye

Ah, almost forgot about Folding, thank goodness for this post! Strange thing with my GTX 260 while folding, when doing so it emitis beeps, around a second or so apart. During each beep progress is done and keeps in tune with the beep. My performance during games like FarCry 2 and Crysis is great, along with benching with 3D Mark 06, so I'm not too worried. All the same... should I be concerned?

Windows 7 makes my system fold dramatically faster. I'm not kidding. With a decent overclock, I am looking at about maybe 5-6 WU a day on my 9550+3870.

Seriously? What are you using for your CPU Folding? VMware or just the windows smp? also what overclock do you have on your 9550? I persume its the Q9550 like mine?

edit:

Ha just noticed you joined the day after me! :lol: