What OS should I run

slick2500

I'll be honest on my old Atom 330 setup (2GB ram) that I dug out a month or two ago I tried 5 OS options, here were my experiences all running on an old 160GB Seagate 7200.12:

Windows 7 and the current at the time (and I'm reasonably sure this was after 14.10 was out) version of Ubuntu. Both ran kinda blah.  They both worked, but reminded me they were slow all the time.

Windows 8.1 was a good bit snappier most of the time, but could still be bogged down here and there.

Linux Mint was a bit more snappy than 8.1 and honestly I didn't play around enough to be 100% sure it it's not better in some cases or worse in others

Lubuntu (again most current at the time) was the smoothest running OS I tried.  It's designed with low end parts in mind but still has a lot of things "ubuntu like" and that can really help out if you can't figure out what you're doing. That's why I ranked it and 8.1 as my choices, it really comes down to how you want to use it and licensing.  Again an SSD would make a big difference (my old 120GB OCZ Solid 3 made windows 7 feel snappy on this same setup) But I can certainly see not spending money on the setup.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows 8.1 is better optimized compared to Windows 7 iirc.

I'd say so, it definitely feels like a more polished 7. Once I threw on Classic Shell and made a start menu link to wireless network settings, I forgot about windows 7 all together

how much ram does the netbook have?

I have an HP Mini and I maxed it at 4gb and put a cheap ssd in it.... windows 7 runs pretty good then. Honestly without an ssd it isnt going to be very snappy.

If thats the same one I sent you an SSD makes all the difference once you max out the memory!