Steam is coming to a new operating system

kyfire

post-92762-0-49631900-1379957159_thumb.png

Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.

As we

post-92762-0-49631900-1379957159_thumb.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering the problems I already have with steam as an app, makes me tremble in fear at the thought of it becoming an OS.

What OS? I haven't had any major issues with the iOS Steam app - even purchased a game from it. The only issue I've had is that sometimes if it kept me logged in and someone messaged me, it'd tell me there was a new message, but only half the time could I actually see it. But I think that's more an issue with my old phone than the app.

OCC article on it. Honestly I didn't see Valve making a SteamOS after all the time spent with Linux, but it makes sense in the long run. It's a free download too once it's available, which should make for a ton of people checking it out and helping shape it for the future.

Valve is also planning to introduce four new features for the living room that'll come to both SteamOS and the Steam client itself. The first is in-home streaming, where you turn on your PC and run Steam like usual, and then SteamOS can stream those games directly to your TV. Next Valve will bring "many of the media services," such as TV, movies, and music, along for the ride. Third is Family Sharing, which has already been revealed, to allow game lending to your family and friends. Finally there's Family Options to bring greater control to your library, so you can hide certain games from your kids, siblings, other family members, and anyone else who has access to your machine.

That part is very nice to see, especially the Family Options.

Sounds like they're just going to make a Linux distro that can do local streaming from Windows/OSX Steam clients.

Color me skeptical.

+1

I know its Valve and recently they haven't let us down, but all the games I have through them and they're shying away from being the reason I use them.

A no bullshit content delivery service.

All these new additions are quite nice, but I just don't see this working that well.

From what I've gathered so far the box itsself wont even render the games, it is just going to Stream from your main PC to the TV.

I really don't get what is so exciting about that.

Edited by Andrewr05

From what I've gathered so far the box itsself wont even render the games, it is just going to Stream from your main PC to the TV.

I really don't get what is so exciting about that.

So far all we have right now is the SteamOS announcement. Tomorrow we'll have another announcement and then Friday for the final one.

I haven't had any issues with Android Steam app yet. I'm looking forward to the PC game streaming, since I already have a low power HTPC in the living room. The more interesting part in the article is that they said there would be more linux native AAA games coming in 2014. A friend of mine only uses Linux and we can only play a handful of games together, so hopefully this will change for the better lol.

Edited by AZNguyen

SteamOS is supposed to be (from what I can tell) a Linux distro that is targeted directly at gamers, and since most Valve games (IE: TF2, Dota 2) can run in Linux natively I don't see there being a whole lot of problems.

They're pushing for more Linux support from other developers too, which will increase Linux's market share, which will be awesome! Maybe we'll see more titles come to Linux such as League of Legends and World of Warcraft...then we can kick our Microsoft addiction.