HD 4870 2GB Videocard from Sapphire Tested

Nemo

So what's different about the Sapphire HD 4870 2GB Vapor X Series? According to our reviewer, it's got more than just 2GB of GDDR5 to set it apart from its predecessors. Check it out - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sa...hd4870_vapor_x/

It seems that they should have distributed the 2GB of memory between two Vapor 4870's, the 1GB Vapor was kickin butt, and the 2GB did this card no justice (though I figured as such, just didn't know it'd run worse)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

So where does a 2 GB card (if ever) gain an advantage over a 1GB? Newegg has the 2GB at 259.99 and the 1GB at 219.99 . Is it worth the 40$ more for the 2GB version, or just a waste of cash?

So where does a 2 GB card (if ever) gain an advantage over a 1GB?

This is usually the type of information one might obtain through reading the review. Heck, you could just skim the testing pages even...

I just thought there would be other reasons that may have not been stated that would further clarify why 2GB would be better then 1GB. I had no Idea that the review covered all and any aspects of the differences between 2GB and 1 GB Video cards.... Hence my question...

I just thought there would be other reasons that may have not been stated that would further clarify why 2GB would be better then 1GB. I had no Idea that the review covered all and any aspects of the differences between 2GB and 1 GB Video cards.... Hence my question...

to be blunt, the 2GB is a waste of money :rolleyes: , if you go 4870 go 1GB.

though 4870s are more expensive than 260s right now and 260s are even with them. Check it out! (I have that BFG and can vouch for it's amazingness, but the MSI is a great deal for how much it's factory overclocked and it's 10 dollars cheaper than the BFG after rebate)

Edit: Actually a handful of 4870s are the same price as the MSI after rebate also, so the choice is yours.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

As of now I did not see any reasl increase in performance. But who knows whats coming down the pike to take advantage of it. Where this card shines is in the cooling department. i would take this car in a heartbeat over one with a reference cooling solution even with the higher price point. This card is available as a 1GB model as well.

As of now I did not see any reasl increase in performance. But who knows whats coming down the pike to take advantage of it. Where this card shines is in the cooling department. i would take this car in a heartbeat over one with a reference cooling solution even with the higher price point. This card is available as a 1GB model as well.

ya, I was gonna say, I saw a 1GB version of the new vapor cooler. I doubt ATI will write drivers to take advantage of the extra 1GB of memory since Sapphire was the only one to make this, while I appreciate they effort. Thanks but no thanks :D

ya, I was gonna say, I saw a 1GB version of the new vapor cooler. I doubt ATI will write drivers to take advantage of the extra 1GB of memory since Sapphire was the only one to make this, while I appreciate they effort. Thanks but no thanks :D

Drivers aren't geared towards any memory size, games are.

Crysis maxed out can use more than a gig of video memory but no card can actually render it quickly at those levels so the advantage is mute.