TIM Roundups and Comparisons List

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TIM is TIM. :lol: I don't even keep track of what I use.

It sounds like a guy who don't care about high temperature. Try to use something crap like coolermaster thermal fusion paste and you WILL feel the difference. ;)

It sounds like a guy who don't care about high temperature. Try to use something crap like coolermaster thermal fusion paste and you WILL feel the difference. ;)

I don't care about temperature...yet I have a full water cooling system? :teehee:

For standard TIM there's a couple C difference, at most. I just checked and I've apparently been using Arctic Cooling MX-2. I finally ran out of the silver and gold crap that came with my GeIL RAM about 9 years ago. :lol: I don't run my system anywhere near the point where a couple degrees would cause damage. Sure, there are some exotic TIMs that are amazing...but I don't want to essentially solder my chip to my water block. :lol:

He burns out hardware because his GPUs and CPU are no longer limited by temperature. So failing points become the voltage regulation.

Using a $20 per application Tim vs a $2 per application Tim won't change that.

Waco don't care about much thus he burns out hardware

I'm pretty sure he's only ever killed a single motherboard in all the years he's screwed with OCing. lol. And I think that's been 12 or so years worth -- not a bad record if you ask me. :D

He burns out hardware because his GPUs and CPU are no longer limited by temperature. So failing points become the voltage regulation.

????? CPU's and GPU's are limited by temperatures. Would you care to elborate? (This will be fun)

Waco uses cheap tim. i get all mine for free.. LOL

Edited by Drdeath

Yes - but even given that I've only killed a single board, ever. :lol:

????? CPU's and GPU's are limited by temperatures. Would you care to elborate? (This will be fun)

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just being contrary for the sake of it?

Yes - but even given that I've only killed a single board, ever. :lol:

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just being contrary for the sake of it?

My vote is for the sake of it :)

I think he means if you are running really good custom water/phase change/LN2 etc, you can put really high voltage through the chip without worrying about high temperatures as much, but the chip could still degrade because of voltage regulation/electromigration or whatever.

I don't know what setup Waco is running, but that's what you're talking about right Stonerboy?

i.e. you couldn't run a CPU at 7Ghz under LN2 with some ridiculous voltage like 1.8v because, even if you had a way to endlessly feed it LN2 and it always stayed well below -100 degrees, it would still fail pretty fast. In that circumstance you are no longer limited by temperature, but by the sensitivity of the chip, quality motherboard VRMs etc.

I'm sure Waco isn't running LN2, but with some good water cooling, you might be able to push more voltage through it than is wise, even if the temperature stays safe.

Edited by 90sgamer