TEC cooling up and running

Puck

Got my setup up and running after letting it leak test overnight. It is the Arqtik Direct Die setup, modded for socket 775, with their trick Controller that monitors Dew point and keeps the block above it to prevent condensation. It exceeded my expectations, I was expecting a ~15c drop in my load temps but got even lower - around 20c! I think its because I have an "optimal" setup - only have the CPU in the loop, a very low restriction triple rad, three of the thick 38mm Delta fans, and am running it at 14.1v instead of 12v. I am very happy so far, and eager to get my 1155 setup now and maybe upgrade to one of the nasty Quad TEC blocks :ph34r: . Few pics first, then some info and results.

Since its an 1155 setup, I had to mod the backplate to make it work on my 775 board, and Arqtik slotted the mounting holes at my request so I can use it on 775 and 1155 by just swapping the backplate. Here are some (crappy) pics - resized smaller this time so they don't look as bad :lol: . Keep in mind everyone has different resolution monitors so what is too big or small for your screen may be fine for someone else. I have a 2560x1440 IPS so what is nice and manageable to me is a huge annoying pic to people on older low res 720p monitors or w/e.

This is the block, with side-by-side 775/1155 mounting holes

xPyC3.jpg?1

This is the nifty controller that monitors Ambient, Humidity, Dew point, TEC Duty Cycle, Block Temp, and allows you to set the target block temp.

ir7yv.jpg?1

I was surprised by the thick high quality wires, sleeving, and neat heatshrink job on all cables. Everything was plug-and-play.

lLRV9.jpg?1

This is how I decided to tackle the mounting issue. I cut 2mm from the middle of each side of the backplate, then tack welded it back together using the block itself as a template to make sure it doesn't shift. A bit tedious since there is a lot of slow grinding/checking to make sure you don't cut too much at once and end up with a gap.

ogZjq.jpg?1

Backplate ready to be tack welded :)

oT4as.jpg?1

ASUS boards have tons of socket space, there was still 1/2" clearance on all sides before any tall components would have gotten in the way. The block is staggered to clear everything directly around the socket.

FBeHI.jpg?1

It is way more then enough for my Xeon(E8400) dual core. It is very humid down here(38%), and mixed with the high heat(28c ambient) makes the Dew point pretty high - 13c - but it can keep the block within 1* of that temp at only 36% duty cycle at idle, and full load barely breaks 50% DC. I expect higher DC and lower temps when it cools down and I can target a lower block temp, but for now that dropped my full load temp from 66c to 47c with all motherboard, pump, and fan settings identical! Lower Dew point and it can easily go lower then that, but if I keep the condensation prevention running keeps the block around 14c.

Water temp increased ~2c over plain watercooling, I can live with that!

That's awesome mate :)

My full load is now only a couple C more then my old idle temp - once my TIM cures it and the hot and humid FL summer is done will be even lower :lol:.

And you now want the quad tec haha that would be a site to see.

Arqtik needs more love the controller and tec/waterblock combo is a fantastic piece of gear.

Glad you're loving it and those are some fantastic temp drops. What is your of before and after tec?

Also much better pics this time :P

And you now want the quad tec haha that would be a site to see.

Arqtik needs more love the controller and tec/waterblock combo is a fantastic piece of gear.

Glad you're loving it and those are some fantastic temp drops. What is your of before and after tec?

Also much better pics this time :P

Before and after temps are listed, 66c before down to 47c (both tested w/Prime95 Small FFT). This is limited by my high dew point - I can't go any colder then that or the block would get condensation. The TEC only gets to like 52% duty cycle at full load while holding block target temp, so I still have a lot of cooling headroom.

PS: Its the same cell, I just took a second to let it focus instead of the dirty hand pinch/side of the finger shutter press :lol:.

Before and after temps are listed, 66c before down to 47c (both tested w/Prime95 Small FFT). This is limited by my high dew point - I can't go any colder then that or the block would get condensation. The TEC only gets to like 52% duty cycle at full load while holding block target temp, so I still have a lot of cooling headroom.

PS: Its the same cell, I just took a second to let it focus instead of the dirty hand pinch/side of the finger shutter press :lol:.

that was ment to be what was your before and after OC was wondering if you have aimed for higher clocks with the better cooling.

haha yeah it makes a big difference waiting the extra half second :P

that was ment to be what was your before and after OC was wondering if you have aimed for higher clocks with the better cooling.

haha yeah it makes a big difference waiting the extra half second :P

Haven't played with the OC yet, my chip has degraded from running 24/7 for 4 years with a heavy OC and lots of voltage :biggrin: . I dropped OC down to 4.2 a while back when 4.3 stopped being stable, but I'll see what it can do later...

• 6 months later...

Figured I'd up this post in case anyone else was thinking about a similar TEC setup on newer hardware.

I recently upgraded from my C2D to a 3770k, and am now pushing the TEC setup a lot harder. While rated at ~130w, I am putting it under 150+ watts and it is starting to reach its limits. I have insulated my new board, so I can run it full tilt now and now worry about the humid FL weather limiting my cooling because of high dew points.

My idle is basically single digits no matter what voltage I use since speedstep downclocks to 1.6ghz, but it is starting to show its limitations at full load with an overclocked Ivy Bridge. At 4.5ghz/1.3v my temps are still awesome - fully loading in IBT in upper 40s C. Pushing to 4.6ghz/1.35 and I'm hitting mid 50s, and @ 4.7ghz the TEC can no longer hold the block @ 1c , and it slowly creeps up to 6-7c at 100% duty cycle, which makes my load temps hit mid 60s.

No fault of the block, since like I said I am pushing it past its rated limits and I have an unusually hot a leaky IB that needs more voltage then normal to be stable.

Basically if you are on SB, or on a 4.5ghz or less IB, the single block from Arqtik is plenty :). If you want an extreme OC (5ghz sandy, 4.6+ghz IB), then the single will start to struggle and the beastly Quad is recommended...that thing will take anything you can throw at it!

I am debating selling my SDD setup and controller and going Quad with some of my tax return, assuming Mindchill opens the shop back up or agrees to make me one. If so, look out for a new thread and some more IB punishment :).

**edit** Just to clarify, those temps are under IBT/P95. I recorded an hour and a half of gaming and my temps never left the 30s @ 4.6ghz :)

Edited by Puck

I hope tye guy that designed and built that is going back to business. Sure would like to see more tec applications available for the current line of processors. It would be great considering that nice controller that is available with it. And a narley radiator to keep it all cool. :)