Windows 8 Consumer Preview Now Available

90sgamer

Already have it up on my laptop (helps that I had the Dev preview already installed) and, meh. It's not bad to use with the single-touch touchscreen of my laptop, but it could definitely use some work for mouse only setups, meaning desktops. Nothing terribly impressive, like ComputerEd said. Although, I love the new task manager. So much more information!

Well this looks terrible... I might have to go back to linux. This Metro UI is terrible, I hate it. Freaking POS is more proprietary than Mac OS.

Edited by l33t p1mp

Well this looks terrible... I might have to go back to linux. This Metro UI is terrible, I hate it. Freaking POS is more proprietary than Mac OS.

I've been afraid this would be my feelings on it ever since I started seeing screenshots a while ago. I'm not excited about this OS, but I'm hoping my low expectations will help soften the suckiness feeling.

I've been afraid this would be my feelings on it ever since I started seeing screenshots a while ago. I'm not excited about this OS, but I'm hoping my low expectations will help soften the suckiness feeling.

Unless I can make it work at least somewhat similarly to Windows 7 I'm going to be an unhappy camper.

i will put that on my transformer prime when asus allows it, but ill keep windows 7 for my desktop.

how would that metro ui even look in eyefinity?

it just seems that we desktop users have been forgotten

Unless I can make it work at least somewhat similarly to Windows 7 I'm going to be an unhappy camper.

Only be unhappy if you are compelled to use Win8 instead of Win7. I did think of something earlier today though that I think isn't a horrible way to explain why the Win8's current design is a bad idea (assuming no way to return to the traditional UI of Win7).

The Metro UI is fine for someone not altogether great with computers, or someone starting out. You know, like our parents or grandparents or don't need much more than the ability to check email and Facebook for pictures of the kids and grandkids. So that's a good thing for the Metro UI. However, because we are the people who would be troubleshooting for them, we would always install Win7 for them to use so we can actually put up with it. People thought it was bad when Microsoft moved stuff around between XP and Vista; this is far worse.

Microsoft development teams are bipolar: Win ME (Bad), Win XP (Good), Win Vista (Bad), Win 7 (Good), Win 8 (???)

My teacher was pointing something about two development teams that takes turns, so every other iteration is going to be bad :D He went on and on, but I never pay attention.

Usability Engineering isn't exactly exciting and on top of his eccentric love of ISO (chairman a couple of boards or w/e). If you love ISO 9241, then this guy should be your idol. M$'s Win 8 dev team should have taken this class with me.

Edited by AZNguyen

Microsoft development teams are bipolar: Win ME (Bad), Win XP (Good), Win Vista (Bad), Win 7 (Good), Win 8 (???)

I remember having that argument at school once lol, except I added in win 98.

I haven't any experience with ME so I don't know why exactly it stunk, but I remember Vista too well. Win 8 is not nearly as bad as bloated Vista, or at least not bad in the same way. It's performance seems very much in line with Win 7 or better, which is good, it's just that the interface is horrible. (I can't really compare performance between the two OS's that well, even if they were both release versions.) The backend seems great; it's the frontend that may kill the OS.