ESD are you safe or not?

greengiant912

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you utilize ESD protection when working on electronics?

• Yes
    • No

So I was just curious, and wondering if a majority or minority of us here on the site use ESD precautions.

Personally I am a bit of an ESD nut, I strap in all the time when working on something and even have a mat and a grounded chair.

I think a lot of us don't realize how small ESD damage can be. Most ESD damage is caused on the microscopic level sure you might not notice issues right away, but that dosen't mean they are not there ;)

Here is a cool little video that I have seen that talks about ESD for all you kids who might not realize how important the subject is ;)

Its a little dated but still good :)

Edited by greengiant912

Pretty good video. :D

I personally don't do much in the way of ESD protection, which is kind of sad because I do have a wrist strap for it even. :lol:

I don't work on computers often enough anymore to worry about it though, and I don't modify or work on my own enough to worry about it either, though when I do work on it, I try to work in a place where I'm very unlikely to create static.

I always use my ESD wrist strap. I live in bone dry Arizona, so building up static electricity is pretty easy, especially in a carpeted room. I'm a little paranoid about it. I even got a humidifier to help reduce the problem a bit. A few times I've generated a powerful enough shock that it was painful. :wacko:  

Hope you're touching metal that is grounded and that can actually discharge static   :)

There are a lot of variables that can impact whether you can safely work on sensitive electronic equipment without using ESD protection.  It could be something as simple as the surface you're working on, the surface you're standing on, what surfaces you've walked across getting to the parts, what type of soles are on your shoes and even the weather.  Where I work static is always worse in the winter time for example.

I'm less cautious with my own gear (depending on the price of course) but at minimum I will always touch a grounded metal object before I stick my hands into my PC.  If I'm working on someone else's gear, or an expensive part of my gear then I will wear my ESD strap.

When I worked at a computer repair shop, we had the ESD pads and straps were there if you wanted them. I never noticeably harmed anything, but I did have a co worker reach out and point at a video card once, and had a 1/2 spark leap from his finger and we assume killed the card ( I was just about to install it... ). My personal ESD precaution is dependent upon the work, but for computers, I just make sure I match the potential of what I'm working on.

I don't tend to worry too much about ESD. There's a thin line between being conscious of ESD and just plain over-the-top. I always touch something metal before touching anything inside the computer, and have never had any problems.

Therefore I think apart from looking like a bit of an idiot, I would gain nothing from a wrist band. Or maybe I'm just a such a down-to-earth person.