SSD bootup problem

Lawrie

Hi All,

I have today booted up with the HD attached and with Windows installation disc in cd Rom.

I took the installation as far as "Which drive do I wish to install Windows on" and the HD is listed as is the SSD! See image.

Does this mean that Windows sees my HD as a viable healthy drive and that Windows can be installed on it?

If so, could I make Windows format the drive prior to the the installation and then stop the installation and exit? If so how?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said your laptop detected the hd as raw, you could have tried to format it from the laptop. Yes you can also format it using the w7 disc, just tell windows to install to it, it should say it has to be formatted if the drive is any good , after the format just cancel the install, do not let windows start the install because it will put on a system boot file which could cause problems when booting from your ssd. If the drive is faulty it will say it can't format it.

Ok I've taken some pics of my server's BIOS (Yeah I shutdown the server just for you) as it uses the same motherboard.  From what I can see back in the second post I'm 95% we had the solution to the problem now let's find out with the help of some pics.

First off here is what My server looks like.  I have more than one HDD plugged in but as you can see it only shows one under the boot options menu just like it only shows on drive at a time for you.  This is how it SHOULD be.

2rw940g.jpg

You need to enter the menu below boot options highlighted here labeled Hard Drive BBS Properties

6rsjk0.jpg

The regular boot menu above is really a "HDD vs CD vs USB" type of boot menu, it doesn't list all your boot devices, that's under the BBS menus in the BIOS shown below. (I only have the HDD one as that's the only device type the server has)

Once in the BBS menu you'll get ANOTHER boot options list that will only have your bootable HDDs/SSDs listed. Here you need to change your SSD to the first option WHILE YOUR HARD DRIVE IS PLUGGED IN.  Once you do that going back to the boot menu you have been looking at should now only show the SSD in the list and not the HDD.

2vx40ia.jpg

Once is all looks good, press F10 and save the new settings and boot to windows.  Chances are it will all work happy now.  I will say though there are a LOT of windows 8 related settings in the BIOS menu that push it into UEFI mode and it WILL cause the system to reboot/Blue screen.  So if you still have issues, go back into BIOS (again with everything plugged in) hit F7 and load up defaults, F10 to save and exit again, then back to BIOS to reset the boot order we just talked about F10 to save and boot to Windows.

If none of that works I'll be happy to take some time later to dig through the rest of the BIOS with you and try to figure out what's making it go "poof"

Cchal - thanks for the time you invested grabbing those screen shots.  As pointed out in posts #2 and #11 of this thread, if you have a Gigabyte motherboard with UEFI Bios you have to expand the Hard Drive BBS properties in order to see the bootable hard drives connected to the controller ports.

As you pointed out, the Boot Option Priorities Menu is really where you set boot "device type" priority, not the hard drive boot priority.  Confusing....?  A little, yes.  The only reason I had recommendations early is because my last two builds have been GB based with UEFI BIOS.  

Cchal - thanks for the time you invested grabbing those screen shots.  As pointed out in posts #2 and #11 of this thread, if you have a Gigabyte motherboard with UEFI Bios you have to expand the Hard Drive BBS properties in order to see the bootable hard drives connected to the controller ports.

As you pointed out, the Boot Option Priorities Menu is really where you set boot "device type" priority, not the hard drive boot priority.  Confusing....?  A little, yes.  The only reason I suggestions early is because my last two builds have been GB based with UEFI BIOS.  

Yeah it stood out to me immediately as well, one look at my signature should explain why...GA-X79-UP4, GA-Z87X-UD5H, GA-Z77X-UD5H  :lol:

Edited by cchalogamer

My grateful thanks to all.

My hard drive is back up and running once again and no BSOD! With the computer off I attached the hard drive. Disconnected my SSD and external drives and booted up with my Windows 7 disk in my cd rom. When I got to the window asking me what language I wanted, I pressed shift and F10 to bring up the command prompt and used Diskpart.

This cleaned my drive instantly.

I switched the computer off again. The booted up without the Windows disk in the cd Rom.

I then went into disk management and created a simple volume on it and the wizard took me through formatting the drive.

All is now well.

See attached images.

Signing off now until the next time - Lawrie

post-131129-0-56210300-1394124014_thumb.jpg

post-131129-0-31134500-1394124021_thumb.jpg

post-131129-0-20940400-1394124031_thumb.jpg