Clock problems, mobo or something else?

skyjam

I have a 3570k and an asus p8p67 deluxe board and after checking out my clocks on cpu-z (which i haven't done when i set them last month) they were at 3600 MHz, now I had my cpu at 3.8 GHz and, to add to this conundrum, when I went into my bios to try and re-overclock, my bios told me that the cpu was at 3.4 GHz. So I ignored that because I really didn't know what to think about it and tried to just change my overclock and see if I could get cpu-z and the bios to match; however, when I went to change my overclocks the bios wouldn't allow me to change it from the stock clock... So I went online looked at a couple "how to's" for overclocking with this board and tried disabling this and enabling that and nothing seemed to work. I'm really stuck here, I have no idea what this could be.... if anyone has any advice or ideas please help...

Skyjam, the first step is usually a hard reset (clear CMOS) of your BIOS. Pull the power supply plug from the wall. Remove the motherboard battery. Move CMOS jumper to clear position. Wait about 30 seconds and reverse the procedure. Boot into the BIOS and reload optimized defaults, and then reboot. Check to make sure that everything is functioning correctly. If you suspect that your motherboard battery might be dead, there isn't any harm in replacing it.

There are various ways to overclock on today's boards, manual BIOS settings, factory pre-programmed "easy" BIOS settings or even software based apps that have a friendly Windows GUI. It's hard to narrow down the problem without understanding how you overclocked to begin with. Did you leave power saving features enabled or did you disable them? What overclocking method did you use (which of the three I mentioned above). Did you use a static cpu voltage, auto cpu voltage or maybe even offset cpu voltage control? Did you increase the CPU core multiplier by core or did you use the top level set it and forget it? Was turbo mode disabled or enabled...... so on and so on.

Before even clearing and resetting your CMOS it might be beneficial for you to post up all your current settings from the A.I. Tweaker Menu and Advanced CPU Configuration options in the BIOS menu. Maybe something will jump out at us from there. Regardless, a hard reset of the BIOS and reloading default values is always a good place to start.

I'm overclocking manually with the BIOS settings...

I was trying to get pictures of AI Tweaker up here but it doesn't seem to be going as planned so....

AI Tweaker setting:

AIOverclock: Manual

BLCK/PCIE Frequency: 100

Memory Frequency: DDR3-1333 MHz

EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

Load-Line Calibration: High

VRM Frequency: Manual

VRM Fixe Frequency: 350

Phase control: optimized

Duty Control: T.probe

CPU Current Capacity: 100%

CPU Voltage: Manual Mode

Voltage 1.100

DRAM Voltage: 1.650

... everything else is on auto except for CPU Spead Spectrum which is disabled

CPU Configuration settings:

CPU Ratio: 3.4

Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enable

Active Processor Cores: All

Limit CPUID Max: Disabled

Execute Disabled Bit: Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep technology: Disabled

Turbo Mode: Enabled

CPU C1E: Disabled

C3 Report: Disabled

C6 Report: Disabled

Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled

CPU Configuration settings:

CPU Ratio: 3.4

Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enable

Active Processor Cores: All

Limit CPUID Max: Disabled

Execute Disabled Bit: Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep technology: Disabled

Turbo Mode: Enabled

CPU C1E: Disabled

C3 Report: Disabled

C6 Report: Disabled

Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled

All the stuff you have disabled should be enabled. These processors are designed to give you all the benefit of overclocking while still giving you the ability to use the power saving features and the C states. You have to change the the Core ration under the Advanced tab in the CPU configuration. If you had called me back i would have just told you this :biggrin:.

All the stuff you have disabled should be enabled. These processors are designed to give you all the benefit of overclocking while still giving you the ability to use the power saving features and the C states. You have to change the the Core ration under the Advanced tab in the CPU configuration. If you had called me back i would have just told you this .

Well first off I didn't see your call. Secondly, even after loading the optimized default settings I still can't change my clocks. I have noticed that in all of the tutorials everyone has a 'turbo ratio' and an 'internal PLL voltage' I believe that I'm not suppose to be missing those two things, and I also think that my oc tuner has something to do with it because I can only set it to 'ok' or 'cancel.' I have tried to EZ flash the BIOS, with no avail, and even tried to post date the BIOS to a previous version but the board would not allow me to do so saying that the "image" was "outdated." In the morning I am going to clear my CMOS and see if anything has changed but other than that I'm still stuck...

Just another guess: Are you using latest BIOS??

It may happen than older BIOS have compatibility issue (which is not the case anyway) with IB processor.

Yeah I am running the latest BIOS from ASUS's website...

I found this forum that suggests that I am apart of a 5% of people that got a bad ME formatting bug and the only way to fix it is by flashing the ME with a FPT or FTK??? I have no idea what that is, and although google has been my friend, every instruction I have found for doing this is very confusing. So if anyone knows any way to reflash the ME and can give instructions that would be awesome :thumbsup: otherwise I guess I'll keep trying....

Good morning Sky. I'm no expert when it comes to deep flashing on Asus boards using the Intel FPT toolkit. However, the best guide I could find on it was here;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1004219/official-asus-rog-maximus-iv-gene-z68-z68-gen3-owners-club/6320#post_18118190

See post #6323 of 6346

Essentially this whole procedure allows you to "revert" back to an older BIOS, hopefully one that works correctly. Alternatively I guess you could wait on Asus to release a new BIOS that corrects the problem. I'd certainly submit a service ticket to Asus and add your complaint to the stack I'm sure they are accumulating over this snafu.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I bought the board used, and to my information, its more of a bios update issue than an actual physical issue. It just sucks that I have to deal with such things. In my opinion, one should come out with the right thing, the FIRST time. This is very disappointing of ASUS in my opinion. :-/ Even in their own forum they have complaints but there hasn't been an update since April, sorry to say....