Need advice on my first build

Yes the 7850 lies somewhere between the 560Ti and 560Ti 448.

The 7850 occasionally evens out with the 570 and usually loses by a few FPS (~5 FPS). Not an issue that Overclocking can't fix.

The real gain is really on the efficiency side. The 7850 provide an 'almost GTX570 like' performance whilst being ~$60 cheaper, runs cooler and consume way less power. IMHO better save the money and get the 7850. It'll cost the same as the 560Ti 448 when you order a separate BF3 but you're getting a card with far superior efficiency. And, you'd be able to save on other thing like the PSU for example. With the very low power draw, you could drop the PSU to 550/600W and save money or stick with the Corsair TX650 without the need of upgrading it should you wish to get a second 7850 and CF them.

Overclocking GPUs are fairly easy with apps like the MSI Afterburner. It's the same thing as overclocking your CPU (find highest clock speed at certain voltages and test for stability) but much less time consuming since you won't need to reboot and enter the settings in the BIOS. The 7850 OC should play well against a stock 570 but bare in mind it won't be able to compete with an overclocked 570 when both has the same percentage of performance gain. But even a stock 570 would run today's games at high - ultra settings so who cares really when you're able to get 50-60FPS constant with your overclocked card :biggrin:

Then, the 7850 seems to be my best choice. But I read it has some compatibility issues because it was released recently and the drivers are not very stable yet, it makes me doubt about getting it or not.

Also, nvidia has the physx feature, which AMD doesn't....

And the crossfire possibility with 2GB VRAM seems more future-proof on paper because it leads to more FPS, but I'm not planning to do it because of micro-shuttering and compatibility issues, so I will go single card.

If you play at 1080p resolution 2 GB is a waste. If you want multiple monitors or higher res than 1080p then a 7850 wouldn't perform well anyway. I really believe that 2 GB in such cards is a gimmick.

edit: wrote 7870 instead of 7850

I read BF3 needs more than 1GB VRAM on ultra settings, so I'm a bit worried about 1.25GB being too little for the games that will be released during the next year.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My GTX 470 has 1.25 GB of Ram and i have absolutely no issues with BF3. Even if you got Ginormous resolution texture mods for it, 1.25 GB ram is enough.

Thats nice, do you play 1920x1080? And, high or ultra settings?

Thanks!

Edit: I found an INNO3D GTX 570 Game Pack for 223€, so I think this is my new best choice, isn't it? Although it only has 1 fan, while the MSI 560ti 448 and the Sapphire HD 7850 have 2 fans, is there a lot of difference?

Edited by loading

Then, the 7850 seems to be my best choice. But I read it has some compatibility issues because it was released recently and the drivers are not very stable yet, it makes me doubt about getting it or not.

Also, nvidia has the physx feature, which AMD doesn't....

And the crossfire possibility with 2GB VRAM seems more future-proof on paper because it leads to more FPS, but I'm not planning to do it because of micro-shuttering and compatibility issues, so I will go single card.

I read BF3 needs more than 1GB VRAM on ultra settings, so I'm a bit worried about 1.25GB being too little for the games that will be released during the next year.

Thanks!

Edit: I found an INNO3D GTX 570 Game Pack for 223€, so I think this is my new best choice, isn't it? Although it only has 1 fan, while the MSI 560ti 448 and the Sapphire HD 7850 have 2 fans, is there a lot of difference?

AMD Always have Driver issues so it's either you try and be pissed off or wait for thing to get better. They do get better with time but never on the same day as the GPU launch day..

And yes, BF3 does love more VRAM but it's minor thing to worry about. As long as you've a powerful card, doesn't matter if it only has 1GB VRAM. I have a GTX460 and am still rocking BF3 @High and averages on ~45-50 FPS :biggrin:

As for the 570 Gamepack, here's a review of it:

Thanks!

I play on ultra and get 45+ fps though i only played campaign.

AMD Always have Driver issues so it's either you try and be pissed off or wait for thing to get better. They do get better with time but never on the same day as the GPU launch day..

And yes, BF3 does love more VRAM but it's minor thing to worry about. As long as you've a powerful card, doesn't matter if it only has 1GB VRAM. I have a GTX460 and am still rocking BF3 @High and averages on ~45-50 FPS :biggrin:

That guy's awesome. He has really professional reviews.

That guy's awesome. He has really professional reviews.

Weirdly enough I thought I was the only one who watched him. There are a number of people who find him very annoying considering how long his videos are, but I am glad to see more people watch him. This guy and linus on linus tech tips are probably the two top reviewers. :cheers:

Weirdly enough I thought I was the only one who watched him. There are a number of people who find him very annoying considering how long his videos are, but I am glad to see more people watch him. This guy and linus on linus tech tips are probably the two top reviewers. :cheers:

But seriously, they're 'OMG LOOK AT THAT DURATION' videos :lol:

I like his reviews very much, but at times I just jump around the videos instead of watching from stat till end...

That guy does funny/weird reviews :lol: I like long reviews because they usually give more information about the product, so if I find the time to watch them, why not?

The 570 game pack seems OK and this guy gives it his "seal of approval", but the cooler looks so cheap... It seems to run at higher temps than other 560ti-570s I've seen, and the fan is 4200rpm, which will sound like a turbine I guess. They say the fan makes 18db noise at 1000rpm, but I can't find anything about it when running at higher rpms.

I also watched this one:

And after that I watched a couple of maxed settings gameplays with the 560 ti 448 (stock and OC'd) and I think it's good enough in terms of performance (I've been playing games on low settings with an nvidia 310m on my laptop for the last year, so this will be a huge jump after all).

So I finally will be getting the MSI gtx 560ti 448 and I will try to OC it to get a better performance. The reasons are:

- MSI seems more reliable than INNO3D to me, and runs cooler due to Twinfrozr III, so if I OC both, I think I will be able to get a very similar performance if I'm lucky.

- The MSI gtx 560ti 448 + BF3 costs 257€ and the INNO3D gtx 570 + BF3 would cost 270€, so I save a bit of money.

Well, that money is not "saved" though, because I'm getting a cheap A4TECH or SHARKOON mouse (~20€). I know these mice aren't as good as Logitech or Razer, but I can't afford a G500 or anything similar after buying this rig :lol:

Edited by loading

While I do love Inno3D i believe the 560 Ti 448 in your particular case is the better choice. I've been answering a lot of threads lately and I don't know this about you but do you plan on getting your card now or later?

No driver issues with radeon cards. they work fine.