Laptop drives[recommendations]

Pteroduck

Depending on the SATA controller you have get a matching SSD....

If you have SATA-II then get a SATA-II SSD and so on...The Kingston are good for swaps like that and I've had no issue retrofitting laptops with SSD drives when keeping them fitted. I wouldnt put a newer SATA-III drive into a laptop with a SATA-II controller as thats where issues arise sometimes

I don't think adding a mid-range SATA III SSD in a SATA II controller will cause a bottleneck.

Or, will it? :unsure:

I did a blog post on this: http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/search/label/Storage#!/2012/04/intel-sata-ii-vs-marvell-sata-iii-vs.html

You don't get the full bandwidth of SATA III with SATA II, but it's still going to be as fast as the fastest SATA II SSD.

It should be possible to use a SSD on your laptop. Did you clone your HDD to the SSD when you put it in? Did it not get recognized in the BIOS?

When you have a problem or issue, people need to put in their full detailed account of what they have, what they did, and what happened. There's too many possibilities already without having to guess those details if they want people to help out.

If you're sticking with a HDD, I guess my pick would WD still.

Something is wrong with your laptop then....

I ran my Agility 3 (SATA III SSD) on an ancient ANCIENT POS Acer laptop that had an old 65nm AMD64 processor, one so old that the SSD made not a bit of difference on system performance (because the CPU was just that awful lol).

I'd contact HP about it, that doesn't sound right at all.

As proof of concept, I'm willing to throw my little Kingston 64GB SSD in an even older laptop (with a 90nm AMD processor) and have it boot.

I remember reading about an HP compatibility issues. I would check with the Crucial SSD webpage and toolbox? comments.

HyperX mentions this in "commonly asked questions." (if I remember correctly)

http://www.crucial.com/support/ssd/ssd_install.aspx

not much there,,

This would appear to to show usability of SSD.  fwiw Intel and Samsung seem to offer the best utilities and support, might be worth checking their web sites.  Though I just purchased and am waiting for a used Kingston HyperX 3K to put in notebook.  (Samsung notebook).

maybe

http://www.crucial.com/help/ssd/index.aspx

Edited by ohldboy

I ran my Agility 3 (SATA III SSD) on an ancient ANCIENT POS Acer laptop that had an old 65nm AMD64 processor, one so old that the SSD made not a bit of difference on system performance (because the CPU was just that awful lol).

It should be like this, everywhere.. But thanks to the controllers, the real story is different.