MATRIX GTX 285 Graphics Card from ASUS Tested

Nemo

I think price on the top end stuff will not come down until the next gen comes out. The 285 is the fastest single GPU card so you do pay a premium.

I know, I hate that rule (and these companies love it). Though the niche is that the 280 can be had for like $200 and perform the same, so if they can rob people for the 285 and let me have my 280 for $200 then let them do what they want I say. I had more beef with it before the 280 came down in price but now I'm pretty much indifferent, if other people still want to pay that much money for a card that has other equal performing competition than I'd like to thank those for helping fund the movement into the 300 series :D

I know, I hate that rule (and these companies love it). Though the niche is that the 280 can be had for like $200 and perform the same, so if they can rob people for the 285 and let me have my 280 for $200 then let them do what they want I say. I had more beef with it before the 280 came down in price but now I'm pretty much indifferent, if other people still want to pay that much money for a card that has other equal performing competition than I'd like to thank those for helping fund the movement into the 300 series :D

Like I said You pay for performance whether you use it or not. High resolution gaming needs the horsepower. As i have pointed out before do you NEED a Callaway Corvette when a stock Corvette does the same 55 MPH as the Callaway? No you dont! People pay for potential and guarantees, its that simple. The hopped up car will get you there quicker and faster if you choose to exercise its potential. Maybe I can put it in perspective another way. DO you need a 10,000 sq ft house when a 900 sq ft hole in the wall will provide a place to sleep and eat? Its the same reason people buy the $1000 processors rather than leaning on the chip to get to a specific performance level reliably. Cases can be made on both sides of the fence and I could throw examples all day long you have to understand while you may be the financial compass here you have to view the other side of the fence and abandon your way of thinking to do so. I currently am enjoying the performance the MATRIX delivers playing CODWAW @ 2560x1600 Max settings. :thumbs-up:

Like I said You pay for performance whether you use it or not. High resolution gaming needs the horsepower. As i have pointed out before do you NEED a Callaway Corvette when a stock Corvette does the same 55 MPH as the Callaway? No you dont! People pay for potential and guarantees, its that simple. The hopped up car will get you there quicker and faster if you choose to exercise its potential. Maybe I can put it in perspective another way. DO you need a 10,000 sq ft house when a 900 sq ft hole in the wall will provide a place to sleep and eat? Its the same reason people buy the $1000 processors rather than leaning on the chip to get to a specific performance level reliably. Cases can be made on both sides of the fence and I could throw examples all day long you have to understand while you may be the financial compass here you have to view the other side of the fence and abandon your way of thinking to do so. I currently am enjoying the performance the MATRIX delivers playing CODWAW @ 2560x1600 Max settings. :thumbs-up:

yeah but you can't deny that the 285 shouldn't be as much more expensive over the 280 as it is. I remember reading multiple reviews that both cards top out around the same max OC's so other than the lowered power consumption, the 285 really has no right to be worth what it is.

I was wondering if you could do me a favor actually Mr. Cokeman, could you compare the performance between an overclocked 4890 and an overclocked 280/285?? I'm thinking about dumping my 4870x2 for one of them but don't know who'd come out better maxed out (since I know the 4890s are overclocking freaks)

I was wondering if you could do me a favor actually Mr. Cokeman, could you compare the performance between an overclocked 4890 and an overclocked 280/285?? I'm thinking about dumping my 4870x2 for one of them but don't know who'd come out better maxed out (since I know the 4890s are overclocking freaks)

Here is a 285 Look at the scores on the far right.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/as...tx285_top/6.htm

Here is a 4890 again look at the scores on the far right.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sa...e_hd_4890/7.htm

That should give you a little idea anyways.

Here is a 285 Look at the scores on the far right.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/as...tx285_top/6.htm

Here is a 4890 again look at the scores on the far right.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sa...e_hd_4890/7.htm

That should give you a little idea anyways.

Thanks, though the 4890 may have the advantage since it's in April and the 285 was in January. I'm only making the request so I can see the performance of them with the newest drivers and all

Even still, the 280 is looking to be the better buy even thought I could get the 4890 cheaper

and I can't believe I forgot to skip the Dead Space page (those poor ATI cards) lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Wow. Quit complaining about prices already :P

If you want to be on the bleeding edge of technology, you pay for it. That's how it's always been. ^_^

:withstupid: :withstupid:

Its a pay to play environment!

Ivy if I get a chance here in the next week or two Ill see what I can do.