ASUS Rampage III Extreme X58 Motherboard Benched

Nemo

Looks like a good board, but the testing kinda throws me off. The stock Intel board mostly does as well as, and sometimes better, in some of the tests.

If you were to go by just the testing, then this board is on average with the other boards. The extra features sure are nice, though.

I have this board and am very happy with it. It came in a pre-built system from Cyber Power which included a water-cooled i7 975.

I wasn't happy with it at first though. I had two problems and thought I'd be having to do an RMA. The board wouldn't always POST (I'd have to reset the CMOS to get into the BIOS to adjust settings) and there was no sound.

To solve the POST problem and occasional blue screens, I discovered I had to supply power to the 8 PIN EZ PLUG 2 at the bottom of the board. If you're running 2-way SLI like I am, you probably need to do this.

Installing a SoundBlaster Fatality board resolved the problem with no sound.

After that, the board ran like a charm. I run two WD Caviar Black HDs in RAID 1 mode off the Marvel SATA 6 controller and I boot with a SSD off the Intel controller.

Very fast, nice looking board. Only wish I was better able to understand and take advantage of all the options.

Edited by FashionFish

Very good review, I had extra interest in a review on this board, since I am now assembling my 1st computer using the ASUS Rampage III. I can see its going to be a slow process. Right now I am figuring out what the different pins are and what connector attaches to them. Soon I'll post a few pictures, along with some of the questions I have.