[WARNING] New NVIDIA 196.75 drivers are bugged

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, it's not the game causing the problem, rather machines that have resumed from sleep/hibernation and having incorrect fan speed assignment issues. The GPU fan(s) in some cases will revert to 0% and it seems that 8 and 9 series cards are the most likely culprits to get toasted. Add a session of a GPU intensive game to the equation and you have a heater element waiting for a roast in your rig.

I've been running the 196.75 driver for a number of days without issues as I:

a) Have sleep/hibernation disabled, and

b) Use EVGA's Precision to peg my fans at 75%.

So apparently under certain circumstances the new 196.75 drivers can kill (via overheating) your card due to an issue with the fan speed control.

LINK

Yea i get this issue when i use EVGA precision utility. Sometimes when you turn the fan speed up the meter tells it to ramp up then if your not paying attention about 30 seconds later they drop back down to slow speeds again regardless of the gpu temp. I was playing a game one day and discovered my 2 graphics cards were running almost 100 degrees C and after a bit of poking around i figured it out, so when i play games from now on i keep a sharp eye on my temp. the last thing i need is my setup to overheat and stop working because of a bad driver....

To be fair, it's not the game causing the problem, rather machines that have resumed from sleep/hibernation and having incorrect fan speed assignment issues. The GPU fan(s) in some cases will revert to 0% and it seems that 8 and 9 series cards are the most likely culprits to get toasted. Add a session of a GPU intensive game to the equation and you have a heater element waiting for a roast in your rig.

I've been running the 196.75 driver for a number of days without issues as I:

a) Have sleep/hibernation disabled, and

b) Use EVGA's Precision to peg my fans at 75%.

Same here, you can by pass this problem by manually setting your fan speeds, but coming out of sleep or hibernation you will have to reset the fan speeds.

Same here, you can by pass this problem by manually setting your fan speeds, but coming out of sleep or hibernation you will have to reset the fan speeds.

or just turn hibernate/sleep off <_<

computers start having power plans only if the electricty bill gets out of control :lol: