OCZ Vertex 3 or Intel 520?

HeyYoWL

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which SSD should I go for?

• OCZ Vertex 120 GB
    • Intel 520 120 GB

For more reliability, I think. (this coming from a user who never used any SSD) :blush:

I don't see more reliability coming from Intel. Their record certainly isn't as tarnished as OCZ but they aren't faultless.

In recent months there haven't been any real failures with either drive with the newest firmware - the cheaper option is the better option.

It's the same controller, similar flash, and similar firmware. Why pay more?

:pfp:

Hah, I thought we were talking about the Intel 510, lol.

Still slight differences:

Controller:

OCZ Vertex 3 = SF-2281

Intel 520 = SF-2281

Flash:

OCZ Vertex 3 = 25nm MLC NAND

Intel 520 = 25nm IMFT NAND

Firmware:

OCZ Vertex 3 = Typical from LSI SandForce

Intel 520 = Co-developed with LSI SandForce

Warranty:

OCZ Vertex 3 = 3 years

Intel 520 = 5 years

Tools:

OCZ Vertex 3 = OCZ Firmware Updater

Intel 520 = Intel SSD Toolbox (includes firmware updates, diagnostics, secure erase, system tuner, and SSD optimizer) + Intel RST means in the future, expect TRIM functionality in RAID 0 and RAID 1

Performance-wise, you won't notice that much real-world difference, but you will in reliability. Intel far exceeds OCZ in reliability testing.

Gahh.... the store is now having a sale for the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB as well for $293 after tax... 120GB or 240? :(

Reliability on the 240Gb Mushkin Chronos Deluxe has been hit and miss according to consumer reviews here in the USA. I'd probably avoid that one and try to decide between the two you were originally considering.

All healthy arguments aside Cappy and Waco both have logical reasons for recommending one over the other. In the end it probably comes down to your budget and your sensitivity to risk. I'm a bargain hunter, so I would normally lean towards

the one that has the lowest per gigabyte price and still offers a decent warranty and good to great consumer reviews.

On the subject of warranty, while I appreciate the 5 yr. warranty from Intel in my situation I can't imagine that in five years I'll be running the same SSDs that I'm running right now, so that becomes a moot point. On the subject of TRIM support for RAID0 - well if you don't run RAID0

that also becomes a moot point. And frankly, even though the Intel drives will probably get RAID TRIM support first, surely every other SSD manufacturer eventually will too. I just don't see Intel permanently excluding the rest of the SSD manufacturers forever. As soon as they

have a working solution it will eventually be deployed to everyone.

Okay.. so voting is 50/50. Lol.. I think I'll go with the Vertex since $40 is quite a bit of a difference and if everyone is split down the middle then I'll go with the cheaper option. :)

Thanks guys!