Guide To Smp Folding With Linux In Vmware

CheeseMan42

Where is this directory? I've looked under my Virtual Machines folder and there's no folders. I've looked on the network and there's no folders there either. Am I not looking in the right places, or did I set up Samba wrong?

Well it could be a few things.

- Is the workgroup the same as that of your Windows network?

- Did you restart samba after editing the configuration file?

- Did you use the same user name as you login to Ubuntu with?

If you answered yes to all of those, post your smb.conf file and I'll take a look at it.

To road-runner: I've used that guide before too and there is nothing wrong with it. I just found that for this purpose it could be done in a few less steps.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Is the workgroup the same as that of your Windows network? I believe so.

- Did you restart samba after editing the configuration file? Yes.

- Did you use the same user name as you login to Ubuntu with? Yes.

I did exactly what you showed in your guide. I changed the name nick to my username, all the rest is the same.

To road-runner: I've used that guide before too and there is nothing wrong with it. I just found that for this purpose it could be done in a few less steps.

Yea I skip a lot of them myself, on a side note I think I got the nvidia card folding in Ubuntu. I will see how it goes, may be no more need for windows (sorry bill, NOT!) for me with folding...

post-6351-1232731080_thumb.png

I did exactly what you showed in your guide. I changed the name nick to my username, all the rest is the same.

Could you post or PM your smb.conf file? I'll take a look at it and see if I can spot anything that would be causing you problems.

EDIT: First try setting the create mask variable in your smb.conf file to 0755 or 0777, I can't remember exactly. I think I took that screenshot before updating that line.

Okay, excuse me for being a moron but I can't even figure out where the VMWare Server Console is. I installed it, but I only have icons for the Home Page and Manage Virtual Networks, as well as some Tomcat stuff.

I thought I was missing something so I even tried following the instructions here, but I don't have the console. Am I doing something wrong?

Okay, excuse me for being a moron but I can't even figure out where the VMWare Server Console is. I installed it, but I only have icons for the Home Page and Manage Virtual Networks, as well as some Tomcat stuff.

I thought I was missing something so I even tried following the instructions here, but I don't have the console. Am I doing something wrong?

Honestly I would need a screenshot. I used VMWare Workstation so mine may look a little different.

Honestly I would need a screenshot. I used VMWare Workstation so mine may look a little different.

Sorry. Here's a screenshot of my VMWare Server folder as well as the Start Menu Folders that it created. I'm not sure what I need to run to get to the console.

I thought I saw in one of the other threads, maybe my Folding Rig Questions thread, that the new Server 2 uses a web browser based console. I got errors with the certificates since they were self signed and someone said that I needed to make an exception in Firefox. I downgraded to an old Server 1.0.8 that I had from a while back and never installed.

Ok, problem #2. I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 x64 on the VM and I get the error in the attachment below. I'm not sure what it means, "i686 CPU". I'm using a Q6600. Could running Vista x86 have anything to do with not being able to install x64 Ubuntu on my VM?

Oh ok. Thanks Crazy_Nate. I used an 8.10 disc that my roommate had instead, and then saw your post. But I see what I did wrong now. But I've got it set up now.

Now here's a few more questions I have:

1. So, to fold on all 4 cores, you say to run the SMP again. Do I open a second terminal and follow those instructions again to do this? (If it's not already obvious, I've never used Ubuntu before)

2. How do I pause and resume the Folding Client in Ubuntu?

3. Can I close the terminal and VMWare once it is folding?

Now just to make sure, is this correct? It is folding, right?

Also I can't seem to get it to work in a second Terminal. I tried messing with the Machine ID, but It always says:

-configonly flag given, so exiting

Terminated