Cheap Tablet Challenge

Crow47

Just this weekend, I was walking around my local Best Buy and was astonished by the quantity of sub-$125 tablets. I even saw a modest $67 unit, and while basic, I was impressed at the relative functionality for such little money. So this got me thinking, what's the best sub-$125 tablet? I'm in the mood for a new toy, and if I can find the right one it may just replace my laptop for basic note-taking duties while at school. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a few requirements:

-Capacitive (not resistive) display

-Bluetooth

-Non-proprietary Android skin (looking at you, Kindle HD)

And really, that's about it. How much can you really get these days?

Are there any certain size displays you're looking for, or just whatever fits your requirements and budgets?

You could probably go with something like the ASUS MeMO Pad 7 for right at $125, with the Acer Iconia 7.9-inch coming in at ~$120. The ASUS has a 7", 1280x800 screen, while the Acer is 7.9" and 1024x768 (think iPad clone). If you want to venture into some relatively unknown names, then the Pyle Astro 10.1" at $120 is worth a look. Only has a 1024x600 resolution and 8GB of storage, but it does support SD cards up to 32GB.

I really don't have any requirements on screen size. I'm not a huge fan of big tablets so the smaller size inheren to this price range is a benefit.

I was actually looking at the memo pad 7 on eBay as they are about half the price on there used, since that's usually how I roll!

Tablets have gotten pretty cheap but I'm still not interested in them, even FREE I cannot really think of a place for them in my life other than to view things for the connectivity, storage, and data input capabilities aren't quite there for me to be interested. (not to mention the kind of program support my laptop with windows has)

As such, I'll not be very useful in the hunt for a cheap tablet unfortunately!

Good luck though, I'll ghost the thread here and there in curiosity though

Tablets have gotten pretty cheap but I'm still not interested in them, even FREE I cannot really think of a place for them in my life other than to view things for the connectivity, storage, and data input capabilities aren't quite there for me to be interested. (not to mention the kind of program support my laptop with windows has)

I use mine for gaming, and watching youtube while on the john

Gaming...without tactile feedback...nor windows game compatibility :yucky: ....and also the YT watching proved my point of its likely only use for me being viewing lol

Two useful uses I could think of would be:

A guide or walkthrough when working on the car (or really anything)

or

A large gauge readout from my OBD2 to Bluetooth Adapter

I guess I could get into storing school books on one and other viewable reference materials...but they aren't cheap enough for such an impulse buy haha

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Pick up the Shield Tablet and play your Steam games, IVI. :P

@Crow, I use Amazon just for the reference to see what's available. The MeMO Pad is pretty neat and seems to get fairly decent reviews, considering its price point.

Gaming...without tactile feedback...nor windows game compatibility :yucky: ....and also the YT watching proved my point of its likely only use for me being viewing lol

Two useful uses I could think of would be:

A guide or walkthrough when working on the car (or really anything)

or

A large gauge readout from my OBD2 to Bluetooth Adapter

I guess I could get into storing school books on one and other viewable reference materials...but they aren't cheap enough for such an impulse buy haha

I use mine for both of those, plus I load the izurvive map when playing DayZ, Battlelog, Plants Vs Zombies 2, and a universal remote.

Used Nook can be rooted with a n2a chip (nook to android. Good hardware. Can be rooted directly by knowledgeable.

Nook HD or HD+.

Kindle does not have microSD slot. 

Bought a refurbished Dell Venue 8 Pro for the W8 operating system (lost word as a refurb), excellent tablet. Suits my usage.

Hopefully the android version would be even cheaper, Dell Venue 8 (not Pro).

Dell Venue 7 android tablet.

atom cpu 2 gb ram and microsd slot, good resolution (and sound) on 8,

Used Nook can be rooted with a n2a chip (nook to android. Good hardware. Can be rooted directly by knowledgeable.

Nook HD or HD+.

Kindle does not have microSD slot. 

Bought a refurbished Dell Venue 8 Pro for the W8 operating system (lost word as a refurb), excellent tablet. Suits my usage.

Hopefully the android version would be even cheaper, Dell Venue 8 (not Pro).

Dell Venue 7 android tablet.

atom cpu 2 gb ram and microsd slot, good resolution (and sound) on 8,

What did you pay for the Dell? I actually prefer Windows 8 as a touch OS vs. the other counterparts, and the fact it's an actual computer is pretty neat.