Topower 1KW 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply Tested

Nemo

Can't DC ripple be remedied pretty quickly by a UPS?

For $172, I think I would buy this unit. The only problems besides the ripple are mainly the manufacturer cheaping out to keep costs down.

I don't think a UPS would make much difference. It would clean up the mains but it's fairly good quality in the UK anyway and a lot of the noise is generated in the power supply by the switching circuitry and the components.

The Topower 1000W power supply isn't a bad power supply it just isn't great and not one I could recommend for the enthusiast. Power supplies that are submitted for review must "do" what they claim they'll do and unfortunately the Topower didn't quite make it. The noise/ripple is borderline and any decent motherboard should cope with it especially when you consider the questionable quality of some of the low end generics that people still insist on using over and over again.

Does an high end power supply guarantee a better overclock not in terms of available wattage but DC quality? It's an interesting question and would make a great article in my opinion but I don't have the necessary skills to push a CPU/GPU combination to their absolute limits.