OCC News: Data Robotics Introduces the World

Nemo

I like how it's referred to as 'cybernetics' :lol: (I find that quite funny).

I'd probably just call it interaction design, because that's essentially what it is.

I think they just used that term because it sounds kind of cool and techy.

Interaction design rocks by the way. It's what turns a piece of technology or engineering into something inherently usable.

They've done a nice aesthetic job on this too (plenty of design cues from Apple as per the norm).

Edited by jammin

If you know anything about NAS devices, then you'll recognize how cool it is that you can mix and match drives without loosing capacity. The closest I've seen any other product come to what the Drodo can do is the Infrant ReadyNAS (recently purchased by Netgear). They use a proprietary version of RAID called XRAID that allows you to add drives as needed as well as swap out existing drives for larger ones. But as in most RAID arrays, you experience degraded performance until the array has been rebuilt using the new drive - and you don't get the benefit of the additional space unless you replace all the drives in the array with the same larger size - and you can only do it one and a time, wait for the array to be rebuilt, and then add another.

Check out the demo video on the DR web site. It's really pretty amazing.

The demo is pretty impressive.

The main thing that concerns me is how much usable storage space you get from your drives.

With how easy this thing looks to use, I suppose that's probably an acceptable trade off though.