Blue screening...Please help

ishyishy

Hi,

Just recently I started to get semi-constant blue screen errors. I get about one every day, and today I got 2. The first one was 3 days ago. I dont remember installing any new drivers or software during that time. The only software I loaded in the past 3 days (besides the troubleshooting tools) is World of Warcraft patches.

I have spent a lot of time doing google searches on what I can do to troubleshoot it, and everything I come up with is very confusing for me.

I tried the most common suggestion: making sure all my drivers were up to date. I went to the appropriate websites and downloaded drivers. I installed motherbaord chipset, motherboard audio, GPU drivers. Even then, I am still getting BSOD.

One thing that I have found in common with most of my search results is to get this program called BluescreenView to see which driver is causing the stop error. However, this program doesnt work for me because I dont have a 'minidump' folder. I am running Win 7 64 bit.

I tried going a memory check and hard drive OS scan using the Windows 7 utilities. All scans came up empty; I didnt find any problems.

I tried another common suggestion: flashing my bios with the current version. I have an EVGA Z68 FTW motherboard, so I went to EVGA's site, downloaded the most recent bios flashing tool, and ran it. I've never flashed a bios before, so I followed the instructions on the ReadMe that it came with. Apparently it flashes my bios and then shuts down my computer, taking less than 5 seconds? Is that normal?

After that, I went back into my bios and re-set my kingston hyperX ram back to 1600, as it is designed to be. If I get another BSOD, I will flash my bios again and leave the RAM at 1333, as my MB defaults it to. However, the RAM i bought was specifically designed to be overclocked to 1600, and the MB I have is designed for 1600 rated RAM.

Is there anything else I can try? I would like to know which process or driver is causing this BSOD. BluescreenView doesnt work, so is there another way?

Thanks.

Edited by ishyishy

You need to enable your dump folder:

To Enable Minidumps:

Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.

Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery > Settings... button.

Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.

Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).

Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.

OK your way out.

Reboot if changes have been made.

And then you will have access to dumps after your next BSOD, also if it hands long enough, write down the error codes. Not much to recommend without further information.

• 1 month later...

If problem still exists after enabling Minidumps then follow these guidelines.

> Clean System from Viruses

> Update Hardware Drivers

> Configure Hardware Properly in BIOS

> Repair Windows Registry

If still problem exists then use a system utility tool to avoid System crashes, Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), and co-related problems.