Steam is coming to a new operating system

kyfire

SteamOS is going to be targeted at the freshly announced Steam Machines http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Well the Steam Machines are running it, but everyone is free to make their own box and drop SteamOS on it.

OCC article.

To have a chance at the beta, you must do the following by October 25:

1. Join the Steam Universe community group
2. Agree to the Steam Hardware Beta Terms and Conditions
3. Make 10 Steam friends (if you haven't already)
4. Create a public Steam Community profile (if you haven't already)
5. Play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd have to try it out first. All the features SOUND awesome, but it's all about the feel.

I also fear that we're looking at a $100+ controller here with all those features, especially since it sounds like they'll only be selling wireless versions (they imply that only the beta prototypes will be wired).

https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/383677179910836224

Beta prototypes also do not have a touch screen.

I'm hearing that the main reason they went with dual haptic touchpads is because something like 50% of Valve's staff is left handed, and with the way this is set up it should be a breeze to just flip the controls (since it's perfectly symmetrical.) I agree that it's something that I'll want to try out before I buy it, but it definitely sounds good on paper. I'd like to see if they can get Dota 2 working with it.  :woot:

Edited by Locutus

I always wanted a console style controller that had a trackball for FPS games, it seems Valve has taken my idea (*cough, cough*) and done it with trackpads instead.  I think a trackball on the one side would be better, but then it wouldn't be as usable by those weird, left-handed people.  I played FPS games with a thumb-controlled trackball for a while.  It took some getting used to, but I was beating my friends who were using a regular mouse.  The nice thing is that you get used to flinging the ball with your thumb and catching it at the right point, kind of like flinging the mouse and knowing instinctively where to stop to have the player in your sights.  I could spin 360s in Unreal Tournament without worrying about running out of mouse-pad.

https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/383677179910836224

Beta prototypes also do not have a touch screen.

I'm hearing that the main reason they went with dual haptic touchpads is because something like 50% of Valve's staff is left handed, and with the way this is set up it should be a breeze to just flip the controls (since it's perfectly symmetrical.) I agree that it's something that I'll want to try out before I buy it, but it definitely sounds good on paper. I'd like to see if they can get Dota 2 working with it.  :woot:

Yeah, the beta controllers will "have four buttons instead of a touchscreen and will connect via a USB cable instead of wirelessly."

As for Dota 2, Valve says every single game on Steam will work just fine with the controller. It's basically tricking it into thinking you have a keyboard and mouse connected when you're really just gaming on the controller. Pretty good idea imo, if it works as advertised.

Back when I was playing the Delta Force games, a few of my squadmates used trackball mice and swore by them over any other kind of mouse.

Weird concept on the controller, but would be fun to give a try I guess...

Don't like the slow migration things are having pulling away from the desktop and mouse/keyboard setup. :( Figured it'd happen some day...but my keyboard and I will always be friends!

The reason Steam and Valve are focusing on making a more console friendly setup boils down to simple statistics. If you sit down at your PC and play a game the most you'll play it for is about an hour (on average.) If you sit down on your couch and play a console game, it's been shown that you will invest at least 2 hours into your game, if not more.

The longer you have a gamer's attention, the more likely you are to make money off of them.

Edited by Locutus

The reason Steam and Valve are focusing on making a more console friendly setup boils down to simple statistics. If you sit down at your PC and play a game the most you'll play it for is about an hour (on average.) If you sit down on your couch and play a console game, it's been shown that you will invest at least 2 hours into your game, if not more.

The longer you have a gamer's attention, the more likely you are to make money off of them.

I'd like to see more of those statistics, to see if there is any unintentional/intentional bias due to PCs being more than a gaming device. Consoles, after all, have almost no use except games, so if you sit down at one, that is what you are going to do with them, and that is the condition when you sit down. The same or similar conditions will exist with a dedicated Steam Machine.

Not trying to start an argument with you, in the least. When I first saw those same statistics a few days ago, I thought the same thing I just said above.

Edit: By the way, I noticed this interesting wording:

Can I use a controller if I don