Steam Comming to OSX!

greengiant912

First off, this is old news...it was discovered in an update 2 weeks ago.

Secondly, although it's certainly nice for Mac users, anyone that considers themselves a PC gamer is going to have a Windows machine.

And thirdly, as Petez alluded to, simply having a Steam Mac client doesn't do you any good as a Mac user if Mac versions of the games you want to play don't come to Steam on top of that.

Your right it is pretty much old news, but these pictures pretty much confirm it. Thus why I posted it.

Edited by greengiant912

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not old news.

The old news was Steam coming to OSX.

The new news is Valve games being ported to OSX.

Logic would have told you that if they were going to port Steam to OSX, they'd do the same for their games.

And still no linux client. Not only was it promised they even are looking to hire programmers that can port games to linux... and yet... I could really care less about this unless it is also alluding to there being a linux client in the near future.

And still no linux client. Not only was it promised they even are looking to hire programmers that can port games to linux... and yet... I could really care less about this unless it is also alluding to there being a linux client in the near future.

Honestly, I don't know why they'd waste time and resources porting to either OS. It's like they almost just wanted something to put them back in the news since there's no new Valve game to advertise at the moment. I love Valve (and Steam), but I just don't get why they're wasting their time on this when they have more important things to develop :cough:E3:cough:

Honestly, I don't know why they'd waste time and resources porting to either OS. It's like they almost just wanted something to put them back in the news since there's no new Valve game to advertise at the moment. I love Valve (and Steam), but I just don't get why they're wasting their time on this when they have more important things to develop :cough:E3:cough:

So what your saying is that it is a complete waste of time to develop for non windows platforms right? Its nice to see a developer actually care about developing for other OS'. In fact bringing the steam platform to OSX and linux will make it easier for developers to release games for these OS'. Not everyone uses windows and I would abandon it in a heart beat if software developers actually programmed for linux and not just windows.

So what your saying is that it is a complete waste of time to develop for non windows platforms right? Its nice to see a developer actually care about developing for other OS'. In fact bringing the steam platform to OSX and linux will make it easier for developers to release games for these OS'. Not everyone uses windows and I would abandon it in a heart beat if software developers actually programmed for linux and not just windows.

This.

The only reason I even use windows is because of games, if it didn't have that going for it then I would already be on linux.

:withstupid:

I have Windows 7 installed at home on my desktop, but my notebook is OSX with VMware running windows if I need to do something in windows on the mac. Believe it or not as well, Macs are taking a popularity especially among College students. I don't think Apple will ever own the desktop world. But there is only one reason why Microsoft is so huge, and that is the business world. Microsoft provides most of their products to the business world, their consumer products are dwarfed in comparison to what they sell for business software.

But, isn't the big news that the games are coming to OSX?

Games have been available for OS X, and the Mac platform in general, for a long time. The good news is a new publisher, and a major one at that, is supporting the platform.

Having the Valve games is great. Having the Steam platform is even better, as Bioshock, Dragon Age, Lego, Spore, Sims, Warhammer, Total War, Torchlight, and other games that are ALREADY Mac compatible will have a new distribution method.

Granted, those are old games, and most gamers will already have those games on a different platform (Windows or console). However, this opens the doors to new games in the coming months, and a way to bring the older games to new users.

:withstupid:

EA, Blizzard, and Lucas Arts and others have seen the value in supporting OS X. It's nice to see others starting to join in.

Going to mac with their games might show some real profit to a lot of developers, I would think the piracy rate is lower for mac, I mean... they can afford a mac, buying a $50 game is probably a daily activity for mac users. :P

Edited by Deathmineral

College students like it? I don't understand why you would make life harder with a mac, so annoying to use. My school ppl just oh look s mac omg I need one because it looks cool. If I had the choice between typing an essay on windows or mac I would def. choose windows

And games with the one click mouse? Must be pretty stupid to play with that

And games with the one click mouse? Must be pretty stupid to play with that

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you?

The Apple Mouse (aka "Mighty Mouse") is a 5 button mouse, and while the scroll ball sucks it isn't that bad of a mouse. The Magic Mouse is a 2 button mouse, but more akin to a laptop's trackpad than a traditional mouse, and not something I would see people using for gaming.

Additionally, you can use pretty much any USB mouse (Logitech, Microsoft, or Razer) with a Mac.

Yes, older Apple mice, including the infamous "puck mouse" (WTF were they thinking??) only had 1 button... but really now, those haven't been around for 10 years. Get over it already.