Neverwinter (MMO)

ClayMeow

NOOOOO -- damn servers down already!

See second update here. Estimated down time is one hour (as of 1215P PT).

They could have been a little more elegant that just shutting them down as people are playing -- an in game warning would be a nice idea.

And since the auction house broke -- the whole game should be down? AND It's another estimated two hours...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They could have been a little more elegant that just shutting them down as people are playing -- an in game warning would be a nice idea.

And since the auction house broke -- the whole game should be down? AND It's another estimated two hours...

Apparently there was an exploit, so they couldn't just keep the servers up. Even if they could take down the AH separately, you'd have exploited characters running around.

Apparently there was an exploit, so they couldn't just keep the servers up. Even if they could take down the AH separately, you'd have exploited characters running around.

So like real life -- one asshole ruins it for EVERYONE.

Apparently lots of assholes.

Honestly I don't care if the economy is screwed at this point...but the way they're handling downtime isn't exactly graceful.

Apparently lots of assholes.

Honestly I don't care if the economy is screwed at this point...but the way they're handling downtime isn't exactly graceful.

Frequent updates on Facebook, Twitter, and their forum. You must not play a lot of MMOs because this is extremely communicative compared to most developers.

You and Amanda are in the minority - the majority of players are even asking for full account wipes so the economy starts clean (in addition to the IP bans that will be happening to the exploiters). I got my character to Level 18, so I hope it doesn't come down to a wipe, but I'm fine with it if it does come with that. We'll see.

Minority? I'm sorry, but I don't expect to have a game bomb out without any advance warning for planned downtime.

I've played plenty of MMOs and any scheduled maintenance is at least blasted out over the general chat or something to that effect. That, and when trying to log in, there's usually some kind of message like "Down for maintenance, go here for details". Their forums were down for a good 30 minutes after they took the servers down as well.

As for the economy - they're going to do character-specific rollbacks and for a beta that's fine with me. The economy can be reset if/when they do a full wipe when the game isn't in beta any more.

Minority? I'm sorry, but I don't expect to have a game bomb out without any advance warning for planned downtime.

I've played plenty of MMOs and any scheduled maintenance is at least blasted out over the general chat or something to that effect. That, and when trying to log in, there's usually some kind of message like "Down for maintenance, go here for details". Their forums were down for a good 30 minutes after they took the servers down as well.

As for the economy - they're going to do character-specific rollbacks and for a beta that's fine with me. The economy can be reset if/when they do a full wipe when the game isn't in beta any more.

This wasn't scheduled maintenance...obviously. They became aware of a major exploit and immediately took the game down. If they waited, even more exploiting would be done.

There is no planned wipe at the end of the Open Beta - they were going to just do a smooth transition. That is why it's important to clean it up now. There are basically three options floating around:

1. IP Ban exploiters only.

2. IP Ban exploiters and rollback everyone a few days to a time before the exploit was first used.

3. IP Ban exploiters and do a full character wipe.

They're not committing to anything yet until the learn the full extent, but I'm guessing #2 is most likely, which means for us it would essentially be like a full wipe. The reason is, from what I've gathered, it's not just the exploiters that are the problem, but that they put these exploited items into circulation, so many people are unknowingly affected.

They already said there'd be no rollback.

And it was scheduled in some way since they apparently announced it on their forums and twitter before the game went down...

Seems like some exploit tanked the economy already... and I thought I was playing in a fantasy world lol

Edit: I was in my phone and did not see the previous posts lol... I'm always late to the debate :P