FX-8120 temps

Joni

Are these temperatures normal for FX-8120. Idle 36 C and in Prime95 blend (8 cores) it gets to 61 C in about 10 minutes, thats when I stopped it. This is on stock speeds, case open, Noctua D-14 with the two fans on ulna adapters and Noctua high grade thermal paste. Motherboard is Asus M5A99X EVO with latest bios.Temperature readings are from CPU (NOT socket readings, those are about 16 C idle).

I've read alot of conflicting reports about 8120 @ stock speeds, some say they have 23 C idle on air, makes me wonder if mine should be that low or are they reading core idle temps.

Edited by Joni

You are using ULNA adapters expect higher temps. Also things like cool'n'quiet eat make a difference to the temps.

Furthermore the ambient temps make large differences to tenps.

23C idle yeah but probably with full speed fans and a sub 20C ambient.

I don't how the room temperature is ideal you mean, do you have nearly 30C ambient temperature? I have about 30C of ambient and my Phenom II X4 955 with stock speed is 36C idle, 30 mins of prime95 hit 58C with Noctua NH-U12P SE2 @ 1300 rpm, I think your D14 should have more lower temperature.

61C is not very critical for AMD processor, I have hit 70C when playing games before and the processor is still healthy, but keeping on high temperature is not very good for your processor.

Edited by Lugia0529

I too was experiencing higher than usual temps on my 8120.  My idle temps were sitting from 40-45c at stock speeds and cooling with a Corsair H100.  The motherboard I'm currently using is an ASRock 970 Extreme 3.  If I ran prime 95, my temps would ratchet up to 65c very quickly and eventually my system would reboot due to "heat issues".  While in the process of trying to figure out what was going on, I was told by AMD Tech Support that the max operating temp for the 8120 is 61c.  I thought this to be very odd since 61c is awfully low for a cpu, but It was confirmed by the specs I found for the 8120, and the AMD Tech.  What I eventually wound up doing (and it consequently worked) was going into the BIOS and manually setting the CPU voltage to 1.22v.  Just to clarify things, the stock voltage for the AMD FX-8120 is 1.2 volts.  So, after setting the voltage to 1.22v, I then enabled AMD Application Power Management.  In a nutshell, Application Power Management will dynamically allocate enough voltage to the CPU based on how many threads are running at that time.  This means that the CPU may not be using 1.2 volts all the time.  Most of the time it will be lower than that.<br><br>Currently I have my CPU overclocked to 4 Ghz through the multiplier alone.  I also set my CPU voltage to 1.25v to give it some headroom.  with Application Power Management running though, I've only seen it max out at 1.22 volts.because of these settings, my temps idle between 36-40c, with a max temp at 53c using Prime 95.  I would suggest looking under your DIGI+ VRM BIOS settings to see what to you can adjust your voltages with, and hopefully resolve your heat issue with that.  If you like, you can PM me and maybe we can figure it out together if you want to.  BTW, I am no overclocking expert, I can only advise you on what worked for me with my 8120.<br>